Aug 16, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Marc Marquez has continued his devastating form in the 2014 Moto GP world championship by securing his ninth pole position of the season at Brno Circuit today.
The Spanish sensation has made an incredible start to the year, winning all ten races to keep his hopes of a perfect season alive. At just 21 years of age, he is perhaps the most talented and dominant individual in motorsport at the moment.
Following on from his win at Indianapolis last weekend, Marquez claimed pole position at Brno today ahead of tomorrow’s race in the Czech Republic that could see him surpass Mick Doohan’s tally of ten wins in a row set in 1997.
Marquez will be joined on the front row of the grid by Ducati’s Andrea Dovizioso and Pramac Racing’s Andrea Iannone. British racer Bradley Smith secured his best ever Moto GP qualifying result in fourth, with just 0.150 seconds covering pole to P4.
Smith starts ahead of Marquez’s teammate Dani Pedrosa – currently second in the championship – and compatriot Jorge Lorenzo on the Yamaha. Nine-time world champion Valentino Rossi will start from seventh place on the grid.
Interestingly, this race marks the first since the establishment of the Moto GP championship that there has been no American rider racing. Colin Edwards confirmed at the last race that he would be missing the rest of the season with the exception of the races in Great Britain and Valencia at the end of the season, which, coupled with Nicky Hayden’s absence, means that the star-spangled banner is not being represented on the grid in the Czech Republic.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 14
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 47
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2