Aug 16, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
By virtue of being the only driver to complete a lap in the final round of qualifying, Ryan Blaney won the pole for today’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Michigan International Speedway.
The final 12 drivers waited out almost all of the 10-minute final round before finally taking to the two-mile oval. But only Blaney and his No. 29 Brad Keselowski Racing Ford F-150 posted a time – 41.582 seconds at 173.152 miles per hour.
With that, Blaney’s solid weekend continues. On Thursday, the Truck Series championship leader was announced as the new driver of the No. 21 Wood Brothers Sprint Cup car in 2015, and yesterday at Michigan, he subbed in for Trevor Bayne in that same No. 21 car for Cup practice and qualifying (Bayne is also competing in the Nationwide Series’ event at Mid-Ohio this weekend; he’ll be back in the No. 21 for Sunday’s Pure Michigan 400).
Blaney will be joined on the front row for today’s Careers for Veterans 200 by BKR teammate and future Cup rival Joey Logano. Outside of Blaney, Positions 2-11 on the grid were filled according to speeds from the previous second round of qualifying; Logano was the quickest in Round 2, allowing him to grab a front row spot.
Timothy Peters and Darrell Wallace Jr. will make up the second row, and Row 3 will have Johnny Sauter and Travis Kvapil. Kvapil is subbing in for John Wes Townley, who is missing his second consecutive Truck Series event after a hard crash in ARCA qualifying at Pocono on Aug. 1.
Green flag for the Trucks is expected to fall around 12:30 p.m. ET.
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 0
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 0
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1