Aug 16, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
As part of the NASCAR Nationwide Series’ annual visit to Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, a group of patients from the Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio known as “Patient Champions” are paired up with drivers and teams that give them a special VIP experience during the race weekend.
Additionally, the 10 “Patient Champions” for today’s race were also honored with special paint schemes on their respective team’s car. Those paint schemes are created with input from each patient.
We’re sure that all of them had a great time today at Mid-Ohio, but one in particular may have had the best day of all.
Six-year-old patient Luke Benner was paired up with Nationwide Series rookie Chris Buescher and helped create an orange, black, and white livery for his No. 60 Roush Fenway Racing Ford.
Today, Buescher put that car in Victory Lane, earning his first-ever NNS win – and also making Benner very happy as these post-race Twitter shots show:
On New Year’s Eve 2012, Benner’s parents noticed that his lymph nodes had grown to a large and bulging state on his neck. Eventually, Benner was sent to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where further analysis revealed that he was suffering from Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.
Benner quickly went on a chemotherapy schedule that would have him, on average, visit NCH every other day for a period of six to eight months with a full treatment term of up to three and a half years. But despite his diagnosis, he continues to enjoy a variety of interests, including swimming, Legos, dolphins, and of course, race cars.
The young boy first met Buescher at NCH a few weeks ago as the latter was in Columbus for pre-race media duties. No doubt that Benner will always be a fan of Buescher after this Saturday afternoon.
We’ll also take this moment to recognize the other nine “Patient Champions” that were honored in today’s race:
- Avery Neely – Paired with the No. 2 Richard Childress Racing team and driver Brian Scott (finished third)
- Blaine Snodgrass – Paired with the No. 22 Team Penske team and driver Alex Tagliani (finished fifth)
- Sean Tibbs – Paired with the No. 11 Joe Gibbs Racing team and driver Elliott Sadler (finished seventh)
- Reid Zupanc – Paired with the No. 42 Turner Scott Motorsports team and driver Dylan Kwasniewski (finished eighth)
- Blake Hames – Paired with the No. 6 Roush Fenway Racing team and driver Trevor Bayne (finished ninth)
- Sydney Huber – Paired with the No. 43 Richard Petty Motorsports team and driver Dakoda Armstrong (finished 10th)
- Dalton Miller – Paired with the No. 16 Roush Fenway Racing team and driver Ryan Reed (finished 12th)
- Allie Norman – Paired with the No. 62 Richard Childress Racing team and driver Brendan Gaughan (finished 20th)
- Tarissa Suchecki – Paired with the No. 99 RAB Racing team and driver James Buescher (finished 25th)
Apr 18, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Despite expecting to struggle in Bahrain, Sainz will start the race from ninth place on Sunday.
Apr 18, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Grosjean believes he could have qualified higher up the grid, but is pleased to have maintained his 100% Q3 record in 2015.
Apr 18, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
Simon Pagenaud led IndyCar’s final practice session in Long Beach.
Apr 18, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Daniel Ricciardo fares far better in the sister Red Bull, qualifying seventh in Bahrain.
Apr 18, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Former Red Bull driver believes that the focus should not be on tire management, but instead on driver ability and pace.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Rosberg misses out on the front row for the second time in three races, exposing Mercedes to the threat from Ferrari in the race.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
Conor Daly gets a last-minute IndyCar shot with Dale Coyne Racing.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Four-time world champion qualified second for the Bahrain Grand Prix, splitting the Mercedes drivers at the front of the grid.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
The defending F1 world champion feels more at ease with this year’s car in Bahrain, allowing him to dominate qualifying on Saturday.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
John Booth says that the long-term future of the team is being planned and secured thanks to fresh investment.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:02 AM EDT
The defending world champion edges out Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel and Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg in FP3 ahead of qualifying later today.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Mercedes and Ferrari continue to exchange blows in Bahrain, but who will get the upper hand ahead of qualifying?
Apr 17, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT
Ricky Taylor, Bill Auberlen secure pole positions for Round 3 of TUDOR Championship season in Long Beach.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Some good banter between Simon Pagenaud and Will Power occurs during post-practice press conference, as the two laugh off their contact here last year.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
Power leads second practice in Long Beach.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Five in a row for the McLaren junior driver as he starts the 2015 season in style.
Apr 17, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Ferrari’s long run pace suggests that Mercedes may not have it all its own way on Sunday.
- Simon Pagenaud fastest in IndyCar’s final Long Beach practice 0
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2