Aug 16, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
As part of the NASCAR Nationwide Series’ annual visit to Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, a group of patients from the Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio known as “Patient Champions” are paired up with drivers and teams that give them a special VIP experience during the race weekend.
Additionally, the 10 “Patient Champions” for today’s race were also honored with special paint schemes on their respective team’s car. Those paint schemes are created with input from each patient.
We’re sure that all of them had a great time today at Mid-Ohio, but one in particular may have had the best day of all.
Six-year-old patient Luke Benner was paired up with Nationwide Series rookie Chris Buescher and helped create an orange, black, and white livery for his No. 60 Roush Fenway Racing Ford.
Today, Buescher put that car in Victory Lane, earning his first-ever NNS win – and also making Benner very happy as these post-race Twitter shots show:
On New Year’s Eve 2012, Benner’s parents noticed that his lymph nodes had grown to a large and bulging state on his neck. Eventually, Benner was sent to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where further analysis revealed that he was suffering from Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.
Benner quickly went on a chemotherapy schedule that would have him, on average, visit NCH every other day for a period of six to eight months with a full treatment term of up to three and a half years. But despite his diagnosis, he continues to enjoy a variety of interests, including swimming, Legos, dolphins, and of course, race cars.
The young boy first met Buescher at NCH a few weeks ago as the latter was in Columbus for pre-race media duties. No doubt that Benner will always be a fan of Buescher after this Saturday afternoon.
We’ll also take this moment to recognize the other nine “Patient Champions” that were honored in today’s race:
- Avery Neely – Paired with the No. 2 Richard Childress Racing team and driver Brian Scott (finished third)
- Blaine Snodgrass – Paired with the No. 22 Team Penske team and driver Alex Tagliani (finished fifth)
- Sean Tibbs – Paired with the No. 11 Joe Gibbs Racing team and driver Elliott Sadler (finished seventh)
- Reid Zupanc – Paired with the No. 42 Turner Scott Motorsports team and driver Dylan Kwasniewski (finished eighth)
- Blake Hames – Paired with the No. 6 Roush Fenway Racing team and driver Trevor Bayne (finished ninth)
- Sydney Huber – Paired with the No. 43 Richard Petty Motorsports team and driver Dakoda Armstrong (finished 10th)
- Dalton Miller – Paired with the No. 16 Roush Fenway Racing team and driver Ryan Reed (finished 12th)
- Allie Norman – Paired with the No. 62 Richard Childress Racing team and driver Brendan Gaughan (finished 20th)
- Tarissa Suchecki – Paired with the No. 99 RAB Racing team and driver James Buescher (finished 25th)
Aug 29, 2015, 4:19 PM EDT
Marquez beats his own lap record for pole position at Silverstone.
Aug 29, 2015, 2:42 PM EDT
All-American top three as track record eclipsed, unofficially, at Sonoma.
Aug 29, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Trulli looks poised to stick with its own powertrain for despite only completing seven laps in pre-season.
Aug 29, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Second practice for the Verizon IndyCar Series’ GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma is live from 10:30 a.m. PT, 1:30 p.m. ET, today on NBCSN.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Bottas had been linked with a seat at Ferrari for 2016, until the team confirmed that it would be retaining Kimi Raikkonen.
Aug 29, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Lotus technical director Nick Chester reveals the cause of Maldonado’s DNF in the Belgian Grand Prix.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:03 AM EDT
Marc Lieb and Romain Dumas take Porsche to its fourth pole position of the season, edging out the sister no. 17 car.
Aug 29, 2015, 4:38 AM EDT
Marc Lieb storms to the top of the timesheets in the no. 18 Porsche, heading up a 1-2 finish in FP3.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:38 PM EDT
The title contenders sum up their chances heading into Sonoma.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:11 PM EDT
A long day on Friday ends with Will Power on top of the timesheets.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:11 PM EDT
Quick series of interviews and tributes flow in for Justin Wilson on site at Sonoma.
Aug 28, 2015, 7:16 PM EDT
The 10th place driver in NHRA Top Fuel standings gets released from his contract at DSR.
Aug 28, 2015, 6:40 PM EDT
Sage Karam speaks with reporters Friday at Sonoma Raceway.
Aug 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Marquez and Lorenzo continue their fight at the front of the MotoGP field in practice at Silverstone on Friday.
Aug 28, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
IndyCar concludes its season at Sonoma this weekend.
Aug 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Prost and Buemi retained by the defending teams’ champion for season two.
Aug 28, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Porsche will debut a new aero kit at this weekend’s 6 Hours of Nürburgring in Germany.
Aug 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Finnish driver admits Williams expected to be further ahead than it is.
Aug 28, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Benoit Treluyer shoots to the top of the timesheets late on in FP2.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Hamilton wrapped up the second annual FIA Pole Trophy last weekend in Belgium.
- Hunter-Reay leads as times plunge in second practice at Sonoma 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6