Aug 17, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Lotus deputy team principal Federico Gastaldi has said that the team is feeling motivated ahead of the second half of the 2014 Formula 1 season, but drivers Pastor Maldonado and Romain Grosjean must pick up some points in the next two races to create some momentum at Enstone.
The British team has not scored any points since the Monaco Grand Prix some three months ago, leaving it eighth in the constructors’ standings behind Toro Rosso.
However, Gastaldi says that the team is feeling refreshed and refocused ahead of F1’s return from the summer break in Belgium next weekend.
“It is a feeling of huge motivation to keep pushing and to try and turn our season around as much as we can,” Gastaldi said. “We now have just two more races in Europe with the rest all flyaway races, so we need to make sure we gain some good momentum.
“Hopefully that will be triggered by some points at Spa and Monza. It won’t be easy because these two circuits are power tracks but as ever we will be fighting for the optimum result.”
The summer break has forced all of the teams to take some time off, but Gastaldi said that Lotus has been working as hard as possible around this to try and resolve the issues that have blighted its 2014 campaign.
“Although we had the enforced summer shutdown, our team will not have stopped thinking and visualising the races ahead,” he said. “F1 never stops, especially in the talented brains at Enstone.
“I can guarantee that all our team had a long think about the season so far and then resolved to ensure we do as much as is humanly possible to extract the maximum from the second phase of 2014.”
- DiZinno: Mid-Ohio a dream weekend for Rahal, IndyCar, fans 0
- Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together 7
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 5
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 1
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 4
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 13
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 5