Aug 17, 2014, 7:30 AM EST
Lotus deputy team principal Federico Gastaldi has said that the team is feeling motivated ahead of the second half of the 2014 Formula 1 season, but drivers Pastor Maldonado and Romain Grosjean must pick up some points in the next two races to create some momentum at Enstone.
The British team has not scored any points since the Monaco Grand Prix some three months ago, leaving it eighth in the constructors’ standings behind Toro Rosso.
However, Gastaldi says that the team is feeling refreshed and refocused ahead of F1’s return from the summer break in Belgium next weekend.
“It is a feeling of huge motivation to keep pushing and to try and turn our season around as much as we can,” Gastaldi said. “We now have just two more races in Europe with the rest all flyaway races, so we need to make sure we gain some good momentum.
“Hopefully that will be triggered by some points at Spa and Monza. It won’t be easy because these two circuits are power tracks but as ever we will be fighting for the optimum result.”
The summer break has forced all of the teams to take some time off, but Gastaldi said that Lotus has been working as hard as possible around this to try and resolve the issues that have blighted its 2014 campaign.
“Although we had the enforced summer shutdown, our team will not have stopped thinking and visualising the races ahead,” he said. “F1 never stops, especially in the talented brains at Enstone.
“I can guarantee that all our team had a long think about the season so far and then resolved to ensure we do as much as is humanly possible to extract the maximum from the second phase of 2014.”
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3
- Fernando Alonso thanks fans for support following crash 1