Aug 17, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
UPDATE (1:51 p.m. ET): NASCAR’s statistics account on Twitter has confirmed that Busch has returned to the race track at Lap 29.
Kyle Busch got loose off of Turn 4 and tagged the outside wall to bring out the first yellow of the day in the Pure Michigan 400 at Michigan International Speedway.
After the incident, Busch quickly wheeled his damaged No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota to the garage.
The last three weeks have been rough for Busch and his team. He suffered an engine failure two weeks ago at Pocono, and last week at Watkins Glen, he soldiered to a 40th-place finish after an extended garage stay for repairs following a run-in with Martin Truex Jr.
ESPN’s Dr. Jerry Punch reported that the No. 18 suffered right-front and right-rear suspension damage in addition to the obvious cosmetic issues.
During the 10 races since the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte in May, Busch has suffered four finishes of 40th or worse. Within that stretch, he also finished runner-up three times in a four-race period.
Obviously, it’s been feast or famine lately for “Rowdy,” and unfortunately for him, it appears he’ll get the latter again today in the Irish Hills.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3