Aug 17, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Max Verstappen has immediately shown why Red Bull worked so hard to get his signature for its junior programme after a trio of fine displays at the Nurburgring this weekend.
The 16-year-old currently races in the FIA F3 European Championship, with the next step towards F1 being either GP2, GP3 or Formula Renault 3.5. After an impressive start to the year, the Dutch youngster was signed by Red Bull to its junior programme earlier this week, and appears to be in line for a Formula 1 seat in a few years’ time.
At the Nurburgring this weekend, Verstappen produced three superb performances. After securing pole position for the first race on Saturday, he won ahead of Ferrari youngster Antonio Fuoco, but could not double up after an engine problem sidelined him in the second race.
After taking a ten place grid penalty, Verstappen started the third and final race from 12th place, yet he was up to fifth by the end of the first lap. He eventually came home in third, capping off a quite superb weekend of racing.
This youngster is without a doubt one of the stars of the future, with some even suggesting that he could be given an F1 debut next season and become the youngest ever driver the sport has seen.
However, his father, Jos – himself an ex-F1 driver – is being more realistic about his son’s chances.
“Max to Toro Rosso? We will wait and see,” Jos is quoted as saying by Planet F1. “We will discuss this together with Red Bull as they continue with Max.”
Regardless of when he makes his F1 debut, Max Verstappen is a name that is worth remembering for the future.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 10
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 43
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2