Aug 17, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
BROOKLYN, Mich. — Today’s Pure Michigan 400 is scheduled to go 200 laps around the two-mile Michigan International Speedway — but will Mother Nature allow NASCAR to go the scheduled distance?
The forecast from the National Weather Service calls for a 60 percent chance of showers this afternoon. (From a personal note, while driving up to the race this morning from Chicago, there were off-and-on showers — mostly light — from about Benton Harbor, Mich. until past Battle Creek, which is approximately 50 miles or so due west of the racetrack).
At Lap 10, there was a large band of storms just east of Grand Rapids and moving east, about 100 miles away from MIS.
NASCAR has already called for a competition caution on Lap 20.
Jeff Gordon started from the pole after setting a track record in qualifying on Friday of 2o6.558 mph. It was the seventh-fastest qualifying speed in NASCAR history and the fastest since restrictor plates were implemented by NASCAR in 1988.
The race had its first mishap just three laps into the event when Kyle Busch hit the wall coming out of Turn 4 and caused substantial damage to the right side of his car. He took his Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota Camry directly to the Sprint Cup garage instead of going to pit road.
Four cars were sent to the back of the field prior to the green flag.
Two were solely for driver change (Trevor Bayne into the No. 21 and Martin Truex Jr. in the No. 78), a third for both driver change and engine change (J.J. Yeley in No. 83) and a fourth solely for a motor change (the No. 40 of Landon Cassill).
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 0
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0