Aug 18, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Today at Michigan International Speedway, 10 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams tested six different rules configurations as the sanctioning body looked to nail down a rules package to give to teams ahead of the 2015 Cup season.
“Our main goal is to harvest data today to help refine the 2015 package,” NASCAR VP of innovation and racing development Gene Stefanyshyn said in a statement. “We are listening to our fans – they have said they like a lot of passing, side-by-side racing and lead changes. That is what we are aiming to accomplish with these tests.”
NASCAR reports that each team turned more than 160 laps on MIS’ two-mile oval during the session. USA Today writer and NBCSN contributor Nate Ryan was on hand for the proceedings, and he gave a full report during today’s episode of NASCAR AMERICA.
You can watch that report, as well as Jeff Burton and Kyle Petty’s own thoughts on where NASCAR needs to go with the 2015 package, in the clip above.
- WATCH LIVE: Italian GP qualifying on NBCSN and Live Extra from 8am ET 0
- Hamilton completes practice clean sweep at Monza 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Italian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Off The Grid: Silverstone preview (premieres 9/6 on NBCSN) 0
- Hamilton quickest again in second Italian GP practice 2
- Hamilton leads Mercedes one-two in Italian GP FP1 1
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 1