Aug 19, 2014, 8:07 PM EDT
After the end of the 2010 Sprint Cup season, Hendrick Motorsports made some changes to their crew chief lineup. Among those changes was the installment of Alan Gustafson as CC for the No. 24 team of Jeff Gordon (Gordon’s previous CC, Steve Letarte, became the CC for Dale Earnhardt Jr. on the No. 88 team).
Since 2011, Gordon, Gustafson, and the No. 24 camp have endured through bouts of inconsistency. But starting from last year’s Chase for the Sprint Cup, the group has been one of the strongest in the Cup garage.
This year, Gordon’s “Drive for Five” has received a major jolt with three victories, including one last weekend at Michigan International Speedway.
And while Gustafson may not get a lot of press compared to fellow HMS crew chiefs Letarte and Chad Knaus (Jimmie Johnson), it’s clear that he’s played a big role in Gordon’s renaissance.
Today on NASCAR AMERICA, the crew talked about how Gordon and Gustafson have cultivated the strong dynamic that has led them to success. You can hear their thoughts in the clip above.
- Marcos Ambrose looks to salvage lost season in V8 Supercars, has had no issues ‘moving on’ from NASCAR 0
- NHRA: Big changes coming to Pro Stock this weekend, next season 9
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 5
- Ten with Townsend: Milwaukee and Iowa debrief 0
- For Dixon, it’s likely Mid-Ohio or bust in terms of 2015 IndyCar title hopes 0
- Race Recap: Vettel draws level with Senna on all-time win list with victory in Hungary 3
- NHRA Mile-High Nationals winners: Torrence, Beckman, Morgan, Krawiec 2