Aug 19, 2014, 8:07 PM EST
After the end of the 2010 Sprint Cup season, Hendrick Motorsports made some changes to their crew chief lineup. Among those changes was the installment of Alan Gustafson as CC for the No. 24 team of Jeff Gordon (Gordon’s previous CC, Steve Letarte, became the CC for Dale Earnhardt Jr. on the No. 88 team).
Since 2011, Gordon, Gustafson, and the No. 24 camp have endured through bouts of inconsistency. But starting from last year’s Chase for the Sprint Cup, the group has been one of the strongest in the Cup garage.
This year, Gordon’s “Drive for Five” has received a major jolt with three victories, including one last weekend at Michigan International Speedway.
And while Gustafson may not get a lot of press compared to fellow HMS crew chiefs Letarte and Chad Knaus (Jimmie Johnson), it’s clear that he’s played a big role in Gordon’s renaissance.
Today on NASCAR AMERICA, the crew talked about how Gordon and Gustafson have cultivated the strong dynamic that has led them to success. You can hear their thoughts in the clip above.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0