Aug 19, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Sprint Cup star Carl Edwards’ move to Joe Gibbs Racing in 2015 is big news – but if we’re honest, we’ve pretty much been thinking this would happen for months.
So, the surprise from JGR’s big announcement Tuesday morning mostly centered on the team’s new sponsor, ARRIS.
The telecommunications equipment company will serve as a primary sponsor for Edwards’ No. 19 Toyota in 17 Sprint Cup races next season, and will also back JGR’s new full-time driver in the Nationwide Series, Mexican pilot Daniel Suarez (who will drive the No. 18 Toyota in that series).
ARRIS isn’t exactly a household name compared to other sponsors in the JGR stable like M&Ms, Subway, and FedEx. But it’s coming into the sport with a big investment – and as Kyle Petty noted on today’s episode of NASCAR AMERICA, that’s welcome news for NASCAR on the dollars-and-cents side of things.
You can hear more of Petty and Rick Allen’s thoughts on Tuesday’s news in the clip above.
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 1
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2