Aug 19, 2014, 7:31 PM EST
Sprint Cup star Carl Edwards’ move to Joe Gibbs Racing in 2015 is big news – but if we’re honest, we’ve pretty much been thinking this would happen for months.
So, the surprise from JGR’s big announcement Tuesday morning mostly centered on the team’s new sponsor, ARRIS.
The telecommunications equipment company will serve as a primary sponsor for Edwards’ No. 19 Toyota in 17 Sprint Cup races next season, and will also back JGR’s new full-time driver in the Nationwide Series, Mexican pilot Daniel Suarez (who will drive the No. 18 Toyota in that series).
ARRIS isn’t exactly a household name compared to other sponsors in the JGR stable like M&Ms, Subway, and FedEx. But it’s coming into the sport with a big investment – and as Kyle Petty noted on today’s episode of NASCAR AMERICA, that’s welcome news for NASCAR on the dollars-and-cents side of things.
You can hear more of Petty and Rick Allen’s thoughts on Tuesday’s news in the clip above.
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0