Aug 19, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Sprint Cup star Carl Edwards’ move to Joe Gibbs Racing in 2015 is big news – but if we’re honest, we’ve pretty much been thinking this would happen for months.
So, the surprise from JGR’s big announcement Tuesday morning mostly centered on the team’s new sponsor, ARRIS.
The telecommunications equipment company will serve as a primary sponsor for Edwards’ No. 19 Toyota in 17 Sprint Cup races next season, and will also back JGR’s new full-time driver in the Nationwide Series, Mexican pilot Daniel Suarez (who will drive the No. 18 Toyota in that series).
ARRIS isn’t exactly a household name compared to other sponsors in the JGR stable like M&Ms, Subway, and FedEx. But it’s coming into the sport with a big investment – and as Kyle Petty noted on today’s episode of NASCAR AMERICA, that’s welcome news for NASCAR on the dollars-and-cents side of things.
You can hear more of Petty and Rick Allen’s thoughts on Tuesday’s news in the clip above.
- It’s ‘never-say-die’ for Graham Rahal with three races left 0
- Paralyzed driver Michael Johnson returning to track in Pro Mazda 0
- Simon Pagenaud ‘agonizingly close’ to wins at Mid-Ohio, not to success in 2015 0
- With three races left, who could still win in IndyCar, season 2015? 1
- Marcos Ambrose looks to salvage lost season in V8 Supercars, has had no issues ‘moving on’ from NASCAR 6
- NHRA: Big changes coming to Pro Stock this weekend, next season 20
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 7