Aug 19, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Sprint Cup star Carl Edwards’ move to Joe Gibbs Racing in 2015 is big news – but if we’re honest, we’ve pretty much been thinking this would happen for months.
So, the surprise from JGR’s big announcement Tuesday morning mostly centered on the team’s new sponsor, ARRIS.
The telecommunications equipment company will serve as a primary sponsor for Edwards’ No. 19 Toyota in 17 Sprint Cup races next season, and will also back JGR’s new full-time driver in the Nationwide Series, Mexican pilot Daniel Suarez (who will drive the No. 18 Toyota in that series).
ARRIS isn’t exactly a household name compared to other sponsors in the JGR stable like M&Ms, Subway, and FedEx. But it’s coming into the sport with a big investment – and as Kyle Petty noted on today’s episode of NASCAR AMERICA, that’s welcome news for NASCAR on the dollars-and-cents side of things.
You can hear more of Petty and Rick Allen’s thoughts on Tuesday’s news in the clip above.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 2
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 11
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 24
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3