Aug 19, 2014, 2:16 PM EDT
It’s all downhill from here to next month’s inaugural race for the all-electric FIA Formula E championship in Beijing.
Today’s fifth and final F-E preseason test at Donington Park in England saw e.dams-Renault driver Sebastien Buemi pop a 1 minute, 31.792 second lap that proved to be the fastest of the day.
Buemi, who also serves as a race driver for Toyota’s World Endurance Championship team and a tester in Formula One for Red Bull Racing, ended up topping all but one of the five F-E preseason tests.
Behind Buemi was his e.dams-Renault teammate, Nicolas Prost, who logged a lap of 1 minute, 32.117 seconds.
As for American-based teams Andretti Autosport and Dragon Racing, their cars were scattered along the speed charts.
Andretti’s Franck Montagny was third-fastest (1:32.143) behind the e.dams-Renault duo, while Lotus F1 tester Charles Pic was 13th (1:32.841) in the team’s second car. Dragon had Jerome d’Ambrosio in eighth (1:32.646), and IndyCar veteran Oriol Servia in 16th (1:33.411).
“So far, so good,” Montagny said in a series release. “In terms of lap time, we’re not too bad, in terms of performance, true performance; in race mode, we’re good too, so I’m quite confident.”
Montagny will race the full F-E season with Andretti, while d’Ambrosio and another IndyCar regular, Mike Conway, have been confirmed to do the same for Dragon.
Mahindra Racing’s Bruno Senna (1:32.249) and Virgin Racing’s Sam Bird (1:32.292) rounded out the Top 5 overall speeds today. Just under one second covered the Top 10, from Buemi to Venturi’s Nick Heidfeld (1:32.775).
According to the series, a combined total of 1,222 laps were run today by the teams, which each ran all four of their cars.
The Formula E season begins September 13th with the Beijing ePrix, which will be contested on a 20-turn street circuit inside the city’s Olympic Village.
Here now is a smattering of social media from the test (including a demonstration of how F-E drivers will change cars during pit stops from Senna’s teammate, Karun Chandhok), as well as today’s lap times…
FIA Formula E – Preseason Test 5 at Donington Park, UK
1. Sebastien Buemi, e.dams-Renault, 1:31.792s
2. Nicolas Prost, e.dams-Renault, 1:32.117s
3. Franck Montagny, Andretti Autosport, 1:32.143s
4. Bruno Senna, Mahindra Racing, 1:32.249s
5. Sam Bird, Virgin Racing, 1:32.292s
6. Lucas di Grassi, Audi Sport ABT, 1:32.293s
7. Karun Chandhok, Mahindra Racing, 1:32.369s
8. Jerome d’Ambrosio, Dragon Racing, 1:32.646s
9. Stephane Sarrazin, Venturi, 1:32.663s
10. Nick Heidfeld, Venturi, 1:32.775s
11. Nelson Piquet, China Racing, 1:32.808s
12. Jaime Alguersuari, Virgin Racing, 1:32.821s
13. Charles Pic, Andretti Autosport, 1:32.841s
14. Daniel Abt, Audi Sport ABT, 1:32.867s
15. Jarno Trulli, Trulli, 1:32.892s
16. Oriol Servia, Dragon Racing, 1:33.411s
17. Antonio Garcia, China Racing, 1:33.469s
18. Takuma Sato, Amlin Aguri, 1:35.425s
19. Michela Cerruti, Trulli, 1:35.444s
20. Katherine Legge, Amlin Aguri, 1:38.112s
Apr 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
A double pole, double win debut weekend for Trevor Carlin’s team was a statement – but the team’s big takeaway was how different the U.S. environment is.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Helio Castroneves pulls an April Fool’s prank.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
A challenging weekend for Scott Dixon occurs from qualifying through the race in St. Petersburg.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Pierre Gasly to test STR10 after Spanish Grand Prix weekend in May.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
While St. Petersburg had its positives as a weekend, Tony DiZinno reflects on two disconcerting themes that emerged from the race itself.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
ABC Supply steps up again, now as Pocono race title sponsor.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
Alexander Rossi looks ahead to the upcoming GP2 season.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
Off the Grid Mexico kicks off with episode one of a six-part digital series.
Mar 31, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
Jann Mardenborough and two spectators were released after this weekend’s VLN crash at the Nurburgring.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Subaru’s Red Bull GRC challenger revealed.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT
ESM recaps its test from the Prologue at Paul Ricard.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT
IMS statement comes out after Indiana’s recent religious freedom legislation.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
Catching up on the rest of the action from St. Petersburg, with a run through the moments of contact that triggered avoidable contact penalties.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT
Rolling Stones to play at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:33 AM EDT
Loose debris hit by a car, then goes over wall and hits a fan outside Turn 10 at St. Petersburg.
Mar 30, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Hawksworth, Filippi impress on opening outings with their new teams in St. Petersburg.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
IndyCar’s “old guard” reigned in St. Petersburg, as the new manufacturer aero kits debuted.
Mar 30, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Victory number 70 of the Italian’s remarkable Moto GP career.
Mar 30, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
However, Williams test driver Susie Wolff believes that women should be reaching F1 in a more organic way.
Mar 30, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
KVSH’s Bourdais gets result after a consistent drive; KV’s Coletti stars but fades after late race splash-and-dash for fuel.
- DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs 1
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 4
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 3
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6