Aug 20, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
Tony Stewart will miss this weekend’s Sprint Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway, the third consecutive race Stewart has skipped in the aftermath of the tragic racing incident with sprint car driver Kevin Ward Jr. nearly two weeks ago.
As was the case at this past weekend’s race at Michigan International Speedway, veteran Sprint Cup driver Jeff Burton will replace Stewart in the No. 14 Chevrolet.
“Tony Stewart has decided not to compete in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series event this weekend at Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway,” said a statement released by team officials.
The rest of the statement read:
“Veteran driver Jeff Burton, a winner of 21 Sprint Cup races, will pilot the No. 14 Bass Pro Shops/Mobil 1 Chevrolet SS for Stewart-Haas Racing in place of Stewart for the second straight week.
“Burton subbed for Stewart last weekend at Michigan International Speedway in Brooklyn. Burton has 40 Sprint Cup starts at Bristol, which include a victory in the 2008 Food City 500.
“The driver change pertains only to Bristol. Stewart’s plans for upcoming Sprint Cup races have yet to be determined.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 6
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 10
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 3
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 2