Chase Elliott, Kyle Larson pace NNS practices; Milka Duno seeks to become first Latina to qualify for a NASCAR event
Aug 21, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
Driving the No. 9 JR Motorsports Chevrolet, Elliott was fastest in the first practice session with a top speed of 123.324 mph. He certainly worked for it, leading all drivers during the session with an almost race-like distance total of 106 laps.
It’s not totally surprising, though, as Elliott seeks to keep his current lead in the NNS standings a 10-point lead over teammate Regan Smith.
Kyle Busch, who wrecked late in Thursday morning’s Camping World Truck Series, finishing 24th and seeing his hopes of a weekend sweep of all three NASCAR touring series races at Bristol, was second-fastest in the first NNS practice at 122.898 mph.
Having won the last three NNS races at Bristol, the younger Busch brother will go for four-in-a-row in Friday’s Food City 300 (7:30 pm ET).
Fifth-fastest was Ryan Blaney (122.084 mph).
Of note, former IndyCar driver Milka Duno (seen in above photo) recorded the 41st-fastest speed in the first session. A native of Venezuela, Duno is hoping to become the first Hispanic woman to qualify for a NASCAR national series event.
Duno will have to find more speed in qualifying Friday afternoon, as only 40 cars will make the field for the NNS race later that evening.
As for Thursday’s second practice session, Larson was nearly 2 mph faster than Elliott’s first practice best. Larson cranked off a best-speed of 125.313 mph.
Like Elliott in the first practice, Larson also logged considerable time on track, totaling 90 laps on the high-banked .533-mile short track.
Just like the first practice, Kyle Busch was second-fastest in the second practice, as well, with a best lap of 124.525 mph.
In addition to three straight, Busch has won seven NNS races in his last eight attempts at Bristol.
Brian Scott was third-fastest at 124.339 mph, followed by Blaney (124.242) and Elliott (124.050).
Just like in the first practice session, Elliott logged the most laps of any driver: 126.
Duno improved in the second practice session with a 36th-best speed of 118.598 mph.
A total of 44 cars took to the track in the final practice session.
Qualifying takes place Friday at 3:40 pm ET.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 2
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 1
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1