Aug 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The Sochi International Street Circuit has been approved by the FIA ahead of this year’s Russian Grand Prix, which is due to be held on October 12th.
For the first time in 100 years, Russia will host a grand prix, which will be its first as part of the official world championship. The last race was held back in 1914 around the streets of St. Petersburg before the outbreak of the first world war.
Despite the ongoing tensions in the area, Formula 1 looks set to head to Sochi for the race just eight months after the city hosted the Winter Olympics. The circuit being built around the complex used for the games.
FIA race director Charlie Whiting confirmed in a statement that work on the track had been completed early, and to a very high standard.
“The circuit is in extremely good condition and will be issued with a licence,” Whiting said. “Everything has been done according to the plans – the kerbs are very good, the verges, the guardrails, the walls – everything is in an extremely good condition.
“Everything has been done to the highest standards and I’m extremely pleased. I can say without hesitation that the circuit is ready 60 days in advance, which is very rare really.”
Race promoter Sergey Vorobyev was pleased with Whiting’s comments, and is looking forward to welcoming Formula 1 is six weeks’ time.
“We were confident that FIA would appreciate the efforts made by our team to implement the technical details that have been so highly reviewed by Mr. Whiting today,” he said. “Now that Sochi Autodrom has received a license, everything else is up to the organisers of the events and as such we are working intensely on ensuring that all aspects of the event are fully prepared.
“It is our aim to make this a truly unforgettable event with the comfort and enjoyment of our guests at the forefront of all our efforts.”
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 5
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 25