Aug 22, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
With qualifying for Saturday’s Irwin Tools Night Race coming up later today at Bristol Motor Speedway, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. has put up the fastest lap in Sprint Cup final practice.
Late in the 50-minute session, the Roush Fenway Racing driver zipped around the half-mile oval at 131.048 mph in the No. 17 Ford Fusion.
Defending Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson went second-fastest behind Stenhouse (131.012), and was followed by Hendrick Motorsports teammate Kasey Kahne in third (130.869), Richard Petty Motorsports’ Aric Almirola (130.780) in fourth, and Practice 1 leader Kyle Larson of Chip Ganassi Racing in fifth (130.762).
Final practice was slowed briefly by a bizarre caution that involved Richard Childress Racing’s Paul Menard. A notebook was left on the car and as Menard made his way through the Bristol high banks, it fell off and scattered papers everywhere.
Fox Sports’ Wendy Venturini later reported on NASCAR Live that those papers were actually notes from Menard’s car chief regarding the set-up of the No. 27 Chevrolet. The car chief had to go to the safety crew afterwards to retrieve what papers they were able to collect. Menard was 18th-quickest in the session (128.597).
Qualifying for tomorrow night’s 500-lap main event will go off this afternoon at 5:40 p.m. ET.
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 0
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 1
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 4
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 7
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1