Aug 22, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
This morning’s GP3 Series free practice from Spa, which was rain-affected, featured one of the year’s wilder accidents as Russian rookie Konsantin Tereschenko went for a backwards barrel roll after hitting curbing at the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps’ Bus Stop chicane.
You can see in the above video that Tereschenko, a 20-year-old driving for the Trident team and in his first ever practice session, was already backwards on entry. But upon hitting the curbing, the car was launched airborne into a barrel roll before contacting the wall.
Tereschenko climbed out under his own power, and in mere moments before the rear of his car lit up from an apparent fire.
He’d completed 11 laps in the session (results linked here).
Twitter users Sergio Martinez (@123pnz) and Sam Piroton (@sam_piroton) recapped the screen caps on Twitter.
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 3
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tops quiet second Monaco GP practice 0
- Hamilton quickest in opening practice for Monaco GP 0
- James Hinchcliffe transferred out of ICU, full recovery expected 4