Aug 22, 2014, 1:27 PM EST
This morning’s GP3 Series free practice from Spa, which was rain-affected, featured one of the year’s wilder accidents as Russian rookie Konsantin Tereschenko went for a backwards barrel roll after hitting curbing at the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps’ Bus Stop chicane.
You can see in the above video that Tereschenko, a 20-year-old driving for the Trident team and in his first ever practice session, was already backwards on entry. But upon hitting the curbing, the car was launched airborne into a barrel roll before contacting the wall.
Tereschenko climbed out under his own power, and in mere moments before the rear of his car lit up from an apparent fire.
He’d completed 11 laps in the session (results linked here).
Twitter users Sergio Martinez (@123pnz) and Sam Piroton (@sam_piroton) recapped the screen caps on Twitter.
Video from NASCAR America
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 2
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0