Aug 22, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
This morning’s GP3 Series free practice from Spa, which was rain-affected, featured one of the year’s wilder accidents as Russian rookie Konsantin Tereschenko went for a backwards barrel roll after hitting curbing at the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps’ Bus Stop chicane.
You can see in the above video that Tereschenko, a 20-year-old driving for the Trident team and in his first ever practice session, was already backwards on entry. But upon hitting the curbing, the car was launched airborne into a barrel roll before contacting the wall.
Tereschenko climbed out under his own power, and in mere moments before the rear of his car lit up from an apparent fire.
He’d completed 11 laps in the session (results linked here).
Twitter users Sergio Martinez (@123pnz) and Sam Piroton (@sam_piroton) recapped the screen caps on Twitter.
- WATCH LIVE: Malaysian Grand Prix FP1 at 10 p.m. ET on Live Extra 0
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0
- Alonso moves to clear up testing crash conspiracy theories 1
- NHRA Funny Car driver Cruz Pedregon trades seats for a day with NASCAR counterpart Joey Logano 2
- Can IndyCar’s next generation take it to the established veterans? 1
- Fernando Alonso talks return in Malaysian GP 2
- Nowhere to go but up for Lotus at Malaysia GP 3