Aug 22, 2014, 1:27 PM EST
This morning’s GP3 Series free practice from Spa, which was rain-affected, featured one of the year’s wilder accidents as Russian rookie Konsantin Tereschenko went for a backwards barrel roll after hitting curbing at the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps’ Bus Stop chicane.
You can see in the above video that Tereschenko, a 20-year-old driving for the Trident team and in his first ever practice session, was already backwards on entry. But upon hitting the curbing, the car was launched airborne into a barrel roll before contacting the wall.
Tereschenko climbed out under his own power, and in mere moments before the rear of his car lit up from an apparent fire.
He’d completed 11 laps in the session (results linked here).
Twitter users Sergio Martinez (@123pnz) and Sam Piroton (@sam_piroton) recapped the screen caps on Twitter.
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 1
- 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Preview 0
- Sebastian Vettel joins Ferrari for 2015 season, partnering Kimi Raikkonen 0