Ryan Blaney passes Kyle Busch on final restart, hangs on to win Nationwide race at Bristol

Aug 22, 2014, 11:35 PM EST

(Photo: Patrick Smith/Getty Images) Getty Images

Ryan Blaney caused a late-race crash that took out Kyle Larson and Dylan Kwasniewski, and then rallied off the final restart following a subsequent caution to steal away the win from Kyle Busch in Friday night’s Food City 300 at Bristol Motor Speedway.

The younger Busch brother was looking to set Nationwide Series history, hoping to earn a fourth consecutive win at BMS.

But the 20-year-old Blaney got a great restart with six laps to go while Busch appeared to have the rear of his car up in the air after being hit from behind by Regan Smith. That allowed Blaney to get a bit of a lead coming to the green flag and he never looked back.

“I have to apologize to Kyle Larson,” Blaney said of the earlier wreck. “I got loose and I’m real sorry about that.”

As for his duel with Busch in the closing laps, Blaney, who led just seven laps in the event, added, “Kyle didn’t go on that last restart. He said his tires were jacked up. … I was just driving my guts out (that he wouldn’t be caught by Busch).”

Busch tried to close the gap and came within about a car length of catching Blaney with two laps to go, but the Team Penske driver was not to be denied, earning his second career NNS win in 24 series starts (he also won in Sept. 2013 at Kentucky Speedway).

Needless to say, Busch was not happy afterward. TV replays showed Regan Smith got into the back end of Busch’s Toyota and lifted it up

“My rear tires weren’t on the ground and I couldn’t go anywhere,” a dejected Busch told ESPN.

It’s understandable that Busch would be miffed. He started from the pole, dominated the 300-lap event by leading 161 laps, only to fall short.

Later in the BMS media center, Busch expounded on his frustration at both losing the race and the potential record.

“(In the latter third of the race) I couldn’t get by (Kyle) Larson on a single-lane race track – it’s pathetic,” Busch said. “But you know, once I did get a position on him, kinda sorta, I just – you gotta try to move the guy out of the way, so I forced him high and got clear of him. And then that was gonna be the race until the last restart, when my rear tires weren’t on the race track and I couldn’t accelerate forward.”

“… The 22 was, I don’t know, 5 mph faster than me going to the first double-yellow stripe. And I didn’t go, because I didn’t want to go. But everybody behind me is trying to go because they’re following the 22. I’m trying to wait for him to stop so I can go by the single red mark on the wall. It’s stupid. NASCAR doesn’t police it and so everybody keeps jacking around on it and you know – one of these days, I’m just gonna lock all four down and stack the whole field up.”

When asked how many more laps he might have needed to potentially catch Blaney, Busch became miffed once again.

“I don’t know if I could have,” he said. “It’s a single-lane race track. You can’t (expletive) pass here. It’s pathetic.”

Chase Elliott finished third, followed by Ty Dillon and Smith, who had words with Dillon after the race.

“I just don’t like the way he (Dillon) raced all night,” Smith told ESPN. “He ran into me three or four times all night. Everybody else out there is able to give room and he doesn’t. He said he got tight. That seems to always be the excuse, when you get tight, you lift off the gas pedal. Next time I run him over, I’m going to get tight, too.”

Dillon countered Smith’s claims by saying he had to be aggressive.

“We just got a little too tight,” Dillon said. “It’s Bristol, man. That’s why I was upset. We were going for all we can. Nobody got tore up. It’s racing. I had a lot of fun. … I’m not going to give anybody anything when I’m trying to run for the championship.”

Brendan Gaughan finished sixth followed by Kevin Harvick, Erik Jones, James Buescher and Chris Buescher.

Larson appeared to be the best chance of catching Busch, but was involved in a wreck 20 laps from the finish with Ryan Blaney and Larson’s Turner Scott Motorsports teammate, Dylan Kwasniewski, suffering heavy rear damage. The other cars suffered less severe damage.

“We went in side-by-side into (turn) one,” Larson said about battling for position with Blaney. “I thought he was going to chase me up the track and instead he sent me into the wall. This really sucks.”

Blaney went up heading into a turn and took out Larson. Blaney accepted the blame for the incident, saying over his team radio, “Sorry, I got loose. I’m sorry.”

When told about Blaney’s apology, Larson seemed understanding.

“Ryan’s a good kid,” Larson said. “I know it wasn’t on purpose. This is Bristol. It’s short track racing.”

Championship contender Elliott Sadler was collected in a spin by Timmy Hill on Lap 184. While his crew tried to repair the damage several times while keeping Sadler on the lead lap, he eventually went one lap down to the leaders.

Then, just moments afterward, Sadler wrecked into the outside retaining wall. His team got him back out onto the track, only to be involved in another wreck on Lap 264.

Sadler’s struggles put a serious dent in his title hopes, not to mention dropping him from third to fourth, and from 11 points back to 28 points in arrears to series leader Elliott in the Nationwide Series standings.

Smith remains in second place while Dillon passed Sadler and into third place.

Rain threatened to shorten the scheduled 300 laps near the end of the event, but stayed away long enough to get the entire race in.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Spend Black Friday doing a few laps on Charlotte Motor Speedway

Nov 26, 2014, 11:01 PM EST

(AP Photo/Terry Renna) AP

If you’re in the Charlotte area and want to have a great Black Friday experience, head on over to Charlotte Motor Speedway, where for a donation, you can drive on the actual racetrack.

2. Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports

Nov 26, 2014, 8:56 PM EST

(AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall) AP

Sam Hornish Jr. has a lot to give thanks for this Thanksgiving, most notably a new ride and a new lease on his Sprint Cup driving life with Richard Petty Motorsports.

3. NBCSN presents 14-hour ‘MECUM MARATHON’ on Thanksgiving Day

Nov 26, 2014, 4:40 PM EST

mecum dealmakers

NBCSN will present a 14-hour ‘Mecum Marathon’ starting Thursday, Thanksgiving Day.

4. Simon Pagenaud’s Ayrton Senna tribute helmet to be auctioned off

Nov 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EST

98th Indianapolis 500 Mile Race Getty Images

Simon Pagenaud’s Indy 500 Senna tribute helmet to be auctioned for Ayrton Senna Foundation.

5. Report of Cole Whitt in for David Ragan at Front Row Racing ‘not true’

Nov 26, 2014, 2:29 PM EST

David Ragan (Todd Warshaw/Getty Images) Getty Images

Front Row Racing officials on Wednesday denied rumors of Cole Whitt replacing David Ragan in the No. 34 Ford for 2015.

6. F1 notes and quotes: Abu Dhabi Test Day 2

Nov 26, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

ADwrap Getty Images

A rundown through the field after the final day of on-track running for F1 2014.

7. Several NASCAR AMERICA specials to run over next month

Nov 26, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

nascar america

Some NASCAR AMERICA specials are on tap before the end of the year.

8. “Dream come true” for Italian Raffaele Marciello in Ferrari test

Nov 26, 2014, 12:00 PM EST

MarcielloAD1 Getty Images

Marciello gracious for opportunity, and was thinking of Jules Bianchi throughout the day.

9. A.J. Foyt still hospitalized but recovering after triple bypass

Nov 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EST

Foyt112614 AP

A.J. Foyt with post-operative complication, but resolved.

10. Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014

Nov 26, 2014, 11:13 AM EST

WehrleinAD1 Getty Images

New Mercedes driver, same place on the charts to close out 2014 F1 season.

11. Life after Red Bull now beckons for JEV, where a new world awaits

Nov 26, 2014, 10:31 AM EST

Vergne 17-11 AP

What’s next for Jean-Eric Vergne? An analysis of his time in F1, and where to from here.

12. Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit

Nov 26, 2014, 9:28 AM EST

Canadian F1 Grand Prix - Practice Getty Images

JEV out, and likely another rookie in at Toro Rosso for 2015.

13. NASCAR: Reddit users provide snapshot of fan reaction to this year’s Chase

Nov 25, 2014, 8:07 PM EST

O'Reilly Auto Parts Challenge Getty Images

A post-season exit survey provides some very interesting fan data on NASCAR’s latest version of its post-season format.

14. Steve Letarte: Greg Ives’ familiarity with Hendrick will help Dale Jr., 88 team prosper (VIDEO)

Nov 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EST

Iowa Speedway - Day 1 Getty Images

The outgoing crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. also talks about his successor needing to make his own mark.

15. Delaware court commissioner delays Kurt Busch hearing to Dec. 16

Nov 25, 2014, 5:45 PM EST

Ford EcoBoost 400 Getty Images

The Delaware family court hearing is a separate matter from the ongoing police investigation into allegations of assault against Busch by his ex-girlfriend.

16. NASCAR: Mike Hillman Jr. named crew chief for Brian Scott’s XFINITY program

Nov 25, 2014, 5:15 PM EST

Chicagoland Speedway - Day 1 Getty Images

Brian Scott gets a new crew chief for 2015’s XFINITY campaign.

17. WATCH: NASCAR AMERICA Tuesday night at 5 p.m. ET

Nov 25, 2014, 4:44 PM EST

nascar america

It may be Thanksgiving week but NASCAR AMERICA is still on tonight at 5 p.m. ET.

18. Marcus Ericsson makes official Sauber debut in Abu Dhabi test

Nov 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Brazil - Previews Getty Images

The ex-Caterham pilot runs 95 laps in the Sauber C33 at Yas Marina Circuit.

Video from NASCAR America