Aug 22, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
After Mercedes closed out first practice for the Belgian Grand Prix at the top of the timesheets with relative ease, it appears that the battle at Spa-Francorchamps will once again be between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg this weekend following F1’s summer break.
It was Rosberg who took the honors in FP1, finishing just under one-tenth of a second clear of Hamilton, whilst Fernando Alonso finished as the best of the rest for Ferrari in third place. The Silver Arrows will be looking to continue this form in the second session on Friday afternoon.
You can watch FP2 live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 8am ET. CLICK HERE to watch via live stream.
Mercedes is expected to be particularly dominant at Spa, given the high-speed nature of the circuit. However, Williams could yet come into play, with this circuit set to play to the strengths of the FW36 car.
Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren and Force India will all also be vying to finish on the podium in Belgium, creating a tantalizing battle for the weekend ahead. Quite simply, it is too close to call.
We may get a better idea during FP2, but the session will run without American driver Alexander Rossi. Marussia reneged on its plans to bench Max Chilton for the weekend and draft Rossi in, meaning that he will have to wait to end America’s wait for an F1 driver that stretches back to 2007.
Be sure to tune in to FP2 live on NBCSN and Live Extra at 8am ET. CLICK HERE to watch via live stream.
Also be sure to catch F1 Extra on NBCSN after practice at 9.30am, with the premiere of Off The Grid: Budapest following at 10am on the same channel.
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 9
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1