Aug 23, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
SONOMA, Calif. – Helio Castroneves was on top in the second 45-minute practice session for the Verizon IndyCar Series’ GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma, with a best time of 1:18.6582.
Times were slower than this morning by nearly a second at the temperature sensitive race track. This morning saw temps of 65 degrees ambient and 91 track, while the afternoon had temps of 73 ambient and 116 track, per Firestone.
Castroneves enters this weekend 39 points in arrears of Team Penske teammate Will Power in the second-to-last race of the season.
Ryan Briscoe jumped to second at 1:18.6920 right at the end of the session in a newly liveried No. 8 NTT Data Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet, a darker shade of blue.
Morning practice leader Ryan Hunter-Reay was third; Scott Dixon jumped up to fourth at the end of the session and Sebastien Bourdais rounded out the top five.
Hunter-Reay was the only Honda runner in the top six; Josef Newgarden was seventh and hovered around the top five.
Qualifying is live at 7:30 p.m. ET/4:30 p.m. PT on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
Here’s your times:
Video from NASCAR America
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 2
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 6
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1