Aug 23, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
SONOMA, Calif. – Helio Castroneves was on top in the second 45-minute practice session for the Verizon IndyCar Series’ GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma, with a best time of 1:18.6582.
Times were slower than this morning by nearly a second at the temperature sensitive race track. This morning saw temps of 65 degrees ambient and 91 track, while the afternoon had temps of 73 ambient and 116 track, per Firestone.
Castroneves enters this weekend 39 points in arrears of Team Penske teammate Will Power in the second-to-last race of the season.
Ryan Briscoe jumped to second at 1:18.6920 right at the end of the session in a newly liveried No. 8 NTT Data Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet, a darker shade of blue.
Morning practice leader Ryan Hunter-Reay was third; Scott Dixon jumped up to fourth at the end of the session and Sebastien Bourdais rounded out the top five.
Hunter-Reay was the only Honda runner in the top six; Josef Newgarden was seventh and hovered around the top five.
Qualifying is live at 7:30 p.m. ET/4:30 p.m. PT on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
Here’s your times:
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 1
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 1
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0