Aug 23, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Bernie Ecclestone has once again affirmed his support for the Russian Grand Prix, which is set to take place in six weeks’ time amid concerns about tensions in the region.
Political relations with Russia have been tenuous following the crisis in the Crimea and the recent MH17 disaster, casting doubt on the viability of the planned grand prix in Sochi.
The eleven teams have stood by the FIA and the commercial rights holder, saying that if the race goes ahead they will be happy to take part.
Ahead of this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix, F1 supremo Ecclestone confirmed to Reuters that he had zero concerns about the race going to plan.
“We have a contract,” he said. “Our friends there, they are happy with the contract so we’ll be there.
“If people have got arguments with Russia maybe they have [issues]. I don’t know. We haven’t got any.”
FIA race director Charlie Whiting visited the circuit earlier this week, and was full of praise for the facility that has been built around the complex that hosted the Winter Olympics earlier this year.
Although concerns about the race in Russia will linger until the race weekend itself, Formula 1 does look set to venture to the nation for the first time in 100 years.
A common misconception is that this will be the first Russian Grand Prix. It will indeed be the first that is part of the official Formula 1 world championship, but two grand prix events were held in 1913 and 1914 around the streets of St. Petersburg before the outbreak of the First World War. Therefore, the 2014 will actually be the third Russian Grand Prix.
F1 has said that it is not looking to make any kind of political statement by going to Russia, but is instead focusing on taking the sport to a new and exciting market in 2014.
The race is set to take place on October 12th this year.
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 8
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1