Aug 23, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
We’ve heard of some strange promotions to attract fans to NASCAR races, and this one is right up near the top of the list.
Sure, NASCAR is built upon speed, but a unique ticket giveaway is being based upon fans’ own speeding exploits.
WRDA radio in Atlanta, otherwise known as “Radio 105.7,” is offering a VIP experience for next weekend’s Oral-B USA 500 race at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
As the station put it on their web site:
“All you have to do is post a picture of your fastest speeding ticket to our Facebook, or tag us on Twitter or Instagram (@Radio1057) and we’ll give one of you speed demons a pair of Club One and Pit Passes for Race Weekend!”
The station even played up the experience:
“With theater seating, more than 63 flat screen TVs (even in the bathroom!) in addition to an exquisitely decorated interior and marble tile flooring, Club One provides a spectacular place from which to enjoy NASCAR Night Racing at Atlanta Motor Speedway!”
There’s no cutoff on the slowest or fastest speeding ticket, it would appear. For example, if you got a citation for doing 40 mph in a 20 mph zone, that would qualify.
Of course, if you were caught on at Atlanta-area freeway doing something like 120 mph in a 55 mph zone, that would probably put you near the top end of the scale.
Why do I get the funny feeling that after reading this story, we’re going to hear of quite a few – uh, shall we say “inspired” – race fans who will intentionally go out and exceed the speed limit so they can get a ticket … and then the good kind of ticket?
Somehow, this just doesn’t seem like a very well thought out “promotion.”
Or, as comedian Larry the Cable Guy might say, “That ain’t right.”
So, Hotlanta leadfoots, if you want to speed your way to AMS next weekend, click here for more information. And don’t be surprised if you see a lot more cops on the road in the coming week, looking for more speeders than usual.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 0
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 1
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 2