Aug 23, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
With Carl Edwards heading to Joe Gibbs Racing next season, what will happen to veteran NASCAR crew chief Jimmy Fennig?
According to FoxSports.com, Fennig is waiting to discuss his future with team co-owner Jack Roush.
That future could potentially include a new role with the Roush Fenway Racing organization, perhaps becoming a crew chief for another driver (Trevor Bayne would be the most likely candidate) or possibly retirement.
It’s unlikely Fennig would follow Edwards to JGR, having spent most of his Cup career at RFR.
Fennig said he’d welcome a new role with the research and development arm of RFR, adding he doesn’t expect to remain as a crew chief after this season.
Roush appears to be as up in the air about Fennig’s future as Fennig himself is.
“We don’t have a plan yet,” Roush told FoxSports.com about Fennig’s plans for the future. “We haven’t heard definitively from Jimmy what his plans are, but he may be thinking about retirement. We’re just not sure.”
If Fennig remains as a crew chief in the RFR organization, it would mark his 30th year atop a Sprint Cup pit box. He was Kurt Busch‘s crew chief when the elder Busch brother won the inaugural Chase for the Sprint Cup (known back then as the Chase for the Nextel Cup) in 2004.
He also directed Martin to his most successful season – although he fell short of the championship that year – in 1998. Martin earned seven wins, 22 top-5 and 26 top-10 finishes, and finished second in the Cup standings (one of five seasons that Martin finished runner-up).
In addition to Busch and Edwards, Fennig has also worked with Mark Martin, Jamie McMurray, David Ragan, Matt Kenseth, Dick Trickle, NASCAR Hall of Famer Bobby Allison, Hut Stricklin, Jimmy Spencer and Kenny Wallace.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52