Aug 23, 2014, 6:43 PM EST
With five of the current top 10 drivers in the Sprint Cup standings driving Chevrolets, perhaps the results of a new study about NASCAR fans is not all that surprising.
As an old NASCAR saying goes, race on Sunday, sell in dealerships on Monday.
In a recent poll conducted by Kelly Blue Book (KBB.com), nearly 600 fans across the country were asked if NASCAR drivers raced in production versions of their cars, which would be the fan favorite of the three major manufacturer brands currently in use in the Sprint Cup Series.
The Chevrolet SS was the overwhelming favorite, drawing 57 percent of the fan vote, according to KBB.com.
A distant second was the Ford Fusion, which drew only 23 percent of the vote, while the Toyota Camry brought up the rear with just 20 percent of the fan vote.
“Nearly 60 percent of consumers polled believe the everyday version of the Chevrolet SS would take home first place if a NASCAR driver was racing it, demonstrating that the Chevrolet brand resonates for performance both in the racing realm and in the real world,” said Arthur Henry, analyst for Kelley Blue Book. “When NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. recently raced his Sprint Cup Series Chevrolet SS to victory lane for the third time this season alone, he helped increase the model’s perception as an attainable performance vehicle.”
(Not surprisingly, Kelly Blue Book is an associate sponsor of Earnhardt’s No. 88 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet, which has three wins thus far this season. KBB will continue as one of Earnhardt’s associate sponsors next season, as well.)
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 0
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 2
- Sauber aims to beat the blues of 2014 with C34’s launch 0
- Track executive arrested, charged with lewdness with 19-year-old 0
- Why Hendrick won’t retire the No. 24 8