Aug 24, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
SONOMA, Calif. – Gabby Chaves has won the 2014 Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires championship on the second tiebreaker, for both his and Brian Belardi’s first championship in the series.
Chaves finished second to Jack Harvey in Sunday’s final round of the season, and that proved to be the difference. Harvey posted another dominant drive for his fourth win in the last five races of the season, to tie Chaves on number of victories (four). And by setting the fastest race lap and leading the most laps, Harvey maxed out his points at 52.
So that left Chaves and Harvey deadlocked on 547 points – but with the points and number of wins tied, Chaves’ number of runner-up finishes (five) trumped Harvey’s (one) to secure the title.
Zach Veach, who also had a shot at the Indy Lights title, finished third in the race and third in the championship.
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR Gridiron Challenge pres. by Toyota at 10 p.m. ET 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 0
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 4
- Sauber aims to beat the blues of 2014 with C34’s launch 2