Aug 24, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
SONOMA, Calif. – Gabby Chaves has won the 2014 Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires championship on the second tiebreaker, for both his and Brian Belardi’s first championship in the series.
Chaves finished second to Jack Harvey in Sunday’s final round of the season, and that proved to be the difference. Harvey posted another dominant drive for his fourth win in the last five races of the season, to tie Chaves on number of victories (four). And by setting the fastest race lap and leading the most laps, Harvey maxed out his points at 52.
So that left Chaves and Harvey deadlocked on 547 points – but with the points and number of wins tied, Chaves’ number of runner-up finishes (five) trumped Harvey’s (one) to secure the title.
Zach Veach, who also had a shot at the Indy Lights title, finished third in the race and third in the championship.
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Long Beach (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 0
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 1
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0