Aug 24, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
SONOMA, Calif. – Gabby Chaves has won the 2014 Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires championship on the second tiebreaker, for both his and Brian Belardi’s first championship in the series.
Chaves finished second to Jack Harvey in Sunday’s final round of the season, and that proved to be the difference. Harvey posted another dominant drive for his fourth win in the last five races of the season, to tie Chaves on number of victories (four). And by setting the fastest race lap and leading the most laps, Harvey maxed out his points at 52.
So that left Chaves and Harvey deadlocked on 547 points – but with the points and number of wins tied, Chaves’ number of runner-up finishes (five) trumped Harvey’s (one) to secure the title.
Zach Veach, who also had a shot at the Indy Lights title, finished third in the race and third in the championship.
Video from NASCAR America
- Kyle Busch roars back to win Truck race at Texas; Matt Crafton gets closer to clinching championship 0
- Tony Stewart sets fastest qualifying speed ever on 1.5-mile track (200.111 mph), but Matt Kenseth wins pole at Texas 1
- United States GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0