Aug 24, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
SONOMA, Calif. – Gabby Chaves has won the 2014 Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires championship on the second tiebreaker, for both his and Brian Belardi’s first championship in the series.
Chaves finished second to Jack Harvey in Sunday’s final round of the season, and that proved to be the difference. Harvey posted another dominant drive for his fourth win in the last five races of the season, to tie Chaves on number of victories (four). And by setting the fastest race lap and leading the most laps, Harvey maxed out his points at 52.
So that left Chaves and Harvey deadlocked on 547 points – but with the points and number of wins tied, Chaves’ number of runner-up finishes (five) trumped Harvey’s (one) to secure the title.
Zach Veach, who also had a shot at the Indy Lights title, finished third in the race and third in the championship.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 1
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 5