Aug 24, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
SONOMA, Calif. – No, that evening disruption we got this morning at 3:20 a.m. wasn’t an early wake-up call reminding us to get up ahead of today’s Belgian Grand Prix.
What to me felt like a small tremor, maybe a 3.8 or 4.0 earthquake considering I lived in Orange County, was actually a 6.0 earthquake in Napa (more here from NBC Bay Area). This is the largest reported earthquake in the region in 25 years, since 1989.
However, Sonoma Raceway said in a statement issued this morning all races, the Verizon IndyCar Series, Pirelli World Challenge and Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires events, will continue as scheduled.
Here is the statement:
Racing will continue as planned today at Sonoma Raceway for the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma Verizon IndyCar® Series event.
The raceway and its facilities experienced no damage from this morning’s 6.0-magnitude earthquake, which was centered in nearby American Canyon. All major systems, including the 12-turn road course, have been inspected by officials, and all emergency responders will be on-site at the facility, as planned. No fans or campers were injured during the quake.
The 85-lap Verizon IndyCar Series event is slated to take the green flag at 1:40 p.m. Race fans are advised to check current reports and road conditions for the best routes to and from the raceway.
It affected a couple IndyCar individuals from Team Penske, with Helio Castroneves, Tim Cindric and his son Austin all posting pictures of hotel damage.
Stay tuned to MotorSportsTalk for further updates from Sonoma. The IndyCar race is set for 4 p.m. ET/1 p.m. PT on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
Video from NASCAR America
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 0
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 3
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 4
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9