Aug 24, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Nico Rosberg’s streak of pole positions extended to four in Belgium yesterday after he saw off Mercedes teammate and championship rival Lewis Hamilton in the final part of qualifying at Spa-Francorchamps.
The German driver secured his seventh pole position of the season by two-tenths of a second after taming the wet conditions in his W05 Hybrid, but with Hamilton securing his first front-row start since the Canadian Grand Prix in June, the stage is set for an epic fight at the front of the field today.
Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso both managed to capitalize on the wet conditions to qualify on the second row, whilst Daniel Ricciardo and Valtteri Bottas line up in fifth and sixth place on the grid.
The session did see the likes of Jules Bianchi and Kevin Magnussen shine, with both youngsters securing a good grid slot for today’s race. P16 may not seem like much, but for Bianchi and Marussia, it is a very big deal indeed.
Although the forecast for today’s race is dry, rain could yet interrupt proceedings given Spa’s microclimatic nature.
You can watch the Belgian Grand Prix live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 7.30am ET today.
FROM THE STEWARDS’ OFFICE
It has been a quiet weekend for the stewards in Belgium, with only two minor bits of news:
- Daniel Ricciardo was fined €1,000 for speeding in the pit lane during qualifying.
- Pastor Maldonado, Fernando Alonso and Daniil Kvyat were randomly selected for anti-doping tests as part of the FIA’s regular procedure.
STARTING GRID FOR THE 2014 BELGIAN GRAND PRIX
1. Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
3. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull
4. Fernando Alonso Ferrari
5. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull
6. Valtteri Bottas Williams
7. Kevin Magnussen McLaren
8. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
9. Felipe Massa Williams
10. Jenson Button McLaren
11. Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso
12. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso
13. Sergio Perez Force India
14. Adrian Sutil Sauber
15. Romain Grosjean Lotus
16. Jules Bianchi Marussia
17. Pastor Maldonado Lotus
18. Nico Hulkenberg Force India
19. Max Chilton Marussia
20. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber
21. Andre Lotterer Caterham
22. Marcus Ericsson Caterham
- WATCH LIVE: FP2 for the United States Grand Prix 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 3
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2