FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton

Aug 26, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Belgium Getty Images

Citing a lack of new evidence, an FIA spokesman has confirmed that the sanctioning body will not punish Nico Rosberg over his early incident with Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton in Sunday’s Belgian Grand Prix.

“The FIA will not intervene in this issue,” the spokesman said according to multiple reports. “Only a ‘new element’ that would have appeared after the results became final could justify us opening an investigation.

The spokesman also referred to Hamilton’s accusation that Rosberg admitted to hitting him on purpose: “A comment alleged to have been made in an internal briefing and later denied by the team itself does not constitute such a ‘new element’.”

Rosberg has also touched on both the incident and Hamilton’s remarks in a video blog.

“I’ve been told what Lewis said in the press and the way he has stated his version of the events,” Rosberg says according to Reuters. “All I can say is that my view of the events are very different.”

However, the German did not go about expressing his view on the blog post.

“The thing is it’s just better that I don’t now give all the details of my opinion and things like that,” he said. “I hope you respect that. I prefer to just keep it internal.”

Rosberg went on to finish second in Sunday’s race behind Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo, while Hamilton failed to finish. But Hamilton has vowed that he will not be looking for payback when F1 resumes its season at the Italian Grand Prix on Sept. 7.

“The [Spa] weekend was damaging,” said Hamilton according to Britain’s Press Association. “I don’t know how I’m going to get back those 29 points, but what I do know is I’ve a great group of people behind me.

“The poor guys on my side of the garage have had quite a lot of bad races. But I know with their support and that of the fans, the fact we’ve a great car, a great team and we should be finishing one-two, I really hope I can bring them some good results moving forwards.

“Whatever the case, I will always put the team first and I won’t take anything into my own hands.”

As for the avoidance of potential future skirmishes with Rosberg, Hamilton said: “I’ll have to make sure we’re not wheel to wheel.”

1. mrhighlyevolved - Aug 26, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Good–he shouldn’t be punished. It was a racing incident.

2. techmeister1 - Aug 26, 2014 at 2:03 PM

If anything Hammy drove into Rosberg who was at the edge of the pavement with no place else to go – the same as Hammy has done to Rosberg numerous times this season.

Hammy is always trying to manipulate the team and media. No objective person could consider this incident as anything more than Hammy running into Rosberg or a racing incident. Rosberg was certainly far enough along side that Hammy didn’t need to run into him by trying to run him off the road.

3. barrylibby - Aug 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM

In the era of open fcae Helmets LH would have claimed a reflection off from his diamond ear stud in mirror caused the “racing incident ” !
    Funny how things change,no more open face helmets !!

4. Jeff - Aug 26, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I’m glad F1 aren’t going to penalize Hamiltion as well.

5. adamthemanc - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:16 AM

Wow, some folk really don’t know anything about racing!
    Lewis was taking his racing line for the corner, Nico was almost a cars length behind (hence his FRONT wing hitting Lewis’ BACK tyre).
    Rosberg, Hamilton and the WHOLE Mercedes team all know that Rosberg should have lifted and give the corner to Hamilton, but he didn’t.
    Only Nico will know if it was intentional, but bottom line, the incident was 100% Rosberg’s fault, as already outlined by Wolff, Lauda & all of Mercedes!… Afterall, aren’t they the ones that should know, meister?!… Oh how comical!!

• barrylibby - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:01 AM

At this point in the soap opera that has been going on w/in MB F1
      shouldn’t have LH known NR wasn’t going to give the line to him ?

• barrylibby - Aug 27, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Oh by the way based o being a fan and viewer since 1960 of F1, I really have opinions
      like everyone else.,if one disagree there is a thumbs down icon and comment space.

6. some1kj - Aug 27, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Hamilton bears much of the responsibility for the incident. He knew exactly what he was doing and deserved what he got. Rosberg is a gentleman.

• barrylibby - Aug 27, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Won’t go totally with the deserved part,but given the soap opera (see above) knowledge certainly can be questioned!

• subslug - Aug 27, 2014 at 4:30 PM

The driver in front should always know when someone is driving above their head behind them and pull over or else they deserve what happens, it’s typical. seen it hundreds of times.

7. adamthemanc - Aug 27, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I don’t think any racer expects any help from another driver, but they certainly don’t imagine they will be struck by their opponents car… Rosberg is far from a gentleman, look what he did at Monaco qualifying (but then i guess your going to say that wasn’t planned either, eh?)
    Next you’ll be telling me Schummie was a complete saint on the track!
    Rosberg will do whatever it takes to win the drivers championship and that includes cheating, as he has done on a few occasions so far this season!
    Oh another example, NR cutting the corner at Canada when LH was within the 1 second DRS activation, to gain an advantage and emerge 2 seconds ahead!
    Gentlemanly he certainly is not!
    He knows Lewis is a better racer and faster than him, so he resorts to cheating…. Plain and simple!

• barrylibby - Aug 27, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Let’s see here. NR knows but LH doesn’t know is that the sum of it ?

Your opinion does not seem to be shared with the stewards this season.
      Here is another opinion.
      The soap opera is just what serves MB purpose.
      If NR should win championship ,which is just as possible as LH winning with races left (two wins )
      and LH is ahead lead into final. If he looses he will pitch a fit and want to leave .
      LH goes home to Ron Dennis ! Which I believe is real cause of Whitmarsh being ousted,he lost Rons’ boy. MB has a champion driver and hires a number two for less money with a winning car to boot. Oh chances are Herr Lauda will not be around either.
      Do not think for a minute Dieter hasn’t thought of this !
      LH future is as tenuous as if the team were in last place because MB will see what they are getting for the money spent
      in F1 , if it doesn’t pay in they will leave, and sell as many expensive cars as before.

Let the soap opera continue , ” like electrons thru the brake by wire system ,so goes F1″ !

I bet Ross is having one hell of a summer vacation !!!!

8. shotgunzoom - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Wow, there are quite a few LH haters out there talking as if they’re objective. What had NR done before LH arrived at MB? Let’s see nada, niecht, nothing.
    He knew that once the brakes on Lewis’ car came good he was going to get left behind and would have to depend on MB to screw LH during pit stops. Like MB has done quite frequently this season!

9. shotgunzoom - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:41 PM

LH has fought and clawed all year long. 6th to 1st, pit lane to podium. All the time staying positive while all technical problems seem to happen to him. I find it difficult to understand comments aimed at the guy fighting hard/fair to prevail. I guess “gentleman” is new dog whistle term.

• barrylibby - Aug 28, 2014 at 7:57 AM

What had the Silver Arrows done period !

Is that a MB hate comment ?

Both drivers have benefitted from a superior car this season.

It has nothing to do with hating, that is a great excuse fro developing an opinion.

Oh by the way declaring one wants to inflict pain on a teammate is a gentlemanly thing ?

I say both should keep their mouths shut,along with various team officials.

10. shotgunzoom - Aug 28, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Not following your logic Libby. At what time is it ever “gentlemanly” to say or try to harm anyone much less your teammate?

My comments about MB are about my suspicion that they have not supported LH as much as NR. The lack of communication, they consistently give NR better service, and they told LH to let NR pass after saying there wouldn’t be any team orders.

Hope I made it clear to you where I am coming from. These are just some if the things that have informed my opinion.

11. shotgunzoom - Aug 28, 2014 at 3:02 PM

My “gentleman” comment is a response to the use of it as a term of distinction between NR and LH. I first saw it used by some1kj I believe.

They are both drivers. They would both fight their grandmothers into a corner, as every other driver on the grid would. But if don’t have the corner then your skill level should be high enough to recognize it before it becomes a problem. Especially when you’re combatting a teammate.

12. adamthemanc - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Here here shotgunzoom!… For a minute there i thought i was the only one noticing Mercedes favouritism toward Rosberg.
    Admittedly, Lewis has made a couple of silly mistakes so far, but he has tried so hard to rectify them.
    It makes me wonder why an TRUE f1 fan would hate LH, he’s the most exciting driver on the grid… If u want to watch boring robots behind the wheel, then by all means support the likes of Rosberg & Vettel… If u want thrilling, edge of your seat racing, then we have to rely on Hamilton, Alonso, even Ricciardo to provide it.
    Hell, Maldonado is more interesting to watch than Rosberg, just to see where his next accident is going to come from!

13. shotgunzoom - Aug 29, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Absolutely, Hamilton, Alonso, Ricciardo, Bottas and Kimi even Massa are most see tv. I remember the early 2000’s when Ferrari dominated F1. Boring. I remember when Damen Hill and Jacque Villenueve were team mates and the team brought Villenueve in for fresh tires with a couple laps to go so that Hill could win. Schumacher and Barrichello, at I believe Austria was team orders. I understand that teams have their goals, but that makes for too many boring races IMO.

I mean, why wouldn’t you want to see drivers who drive hard and fight for everything they can?

Video from NASCAR America