Aug 26, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Former Sprint Cup champion Matt Kenseth and wife Katie have launched the first in a planned four-title series of educational children’s books that aim to help kids be more self-confident and make good choices.
“Matt Kenseth’s Race Against Bullying” – written by Gina Gold, illustrated by Adam Devaney, and published by Bendon – is now available for purchase exclusively at Dollar General stores across the country and at DG’s official website.
DG serves as one of Matt Kenseth’s primary sponsors on his No. 20 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota.
In this first title, a nine-year-old Matt finds trouble with a bully at school. But with help from his parents and his friends, he discovers that there are many ways to successfully deal with bullies.
“As a parent of three small children, it’s natural to worry about the issues they will face while growing up,” Matt said in a statement. “Both Katie and I believe that openly talking about these issues is the best way to prepare them.
“This book is designed to help families discuss the effects of bullying with their kids. We believe it’s important our kids not only know how to deal with a bully, but also understand that it’s not OK to act like one.”
As part of the launch, one of Kenseth’s personal sponsors, Citizen Watch Company, has made a $25,000 donation on his behalf to DG’s Literacy Foundation. Kenseth serves as an ambassador for that foundation.
“With statistics showing bullying and harassment becoming an even bigger social problem, a book like this is just what is needed to help start the conversation earlier between parents and children,” Citizen president Jeffrey Cohen said in the same release.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 1
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 3
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10