Aug 26, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
Score one for tradition.
As part of today’s 2015 NASCAR schedule announcement came official word that the Sprint Cup Series would once again be racing at Darlington Raceway on Labor Day weekend.
From 1950 to 2003, the sport and its rabid fans descended upon the egg-shaped oval in South Carolina every Labor Day weekend for one of NASCAR’s crown jewel events, the Southern 500.
For many in the base, NASCAR’s decision to end Darlington’s Labor Day legacy was a mistake. But one assumes that, to them, the mistake has been corrected with today’s announcement.
But while Darlington’s return to Labor Day weekend is big news, it’s not the only news as NASCAR AMERICA’s Kyle Petty and Jeff Burton note in their initial thoughts of the 2015 Cup schedule. You can hear what they have to say in the clip above.
- Rosberg joins Hill, Prost and Senna as Monaco three-peat winners after gifted victory 0
- NHRA: Beckman blazes to second Funny Car win of season at Kansas; Crampton, Enders-Stevens also win 2
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 7
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 52