Aug 26, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
Score one for tradition.
As part of today’s 2015 NASCAR schedule announcement came official word that the Sprint Cup Series would once again be racing at Darlington Raceway on Labor Day weekend.
From 1950 to 2003, the sport and its rabid fans descended upon the egg-shaped oval in South Carolina every Labor Day weekend for one of NASCAR’s crown jewel events, the Southern 500.
For many in the base, NASCAR’s decision to end Darlington’s Labor Day legacy was a mistake. But one assumes that, to them, the mistake has been corrected with today’s announcement.
But while Darlington’s return to Labor Day weekend is big news, it’s not the only news as NASCAR AMERICA’s Kyle Petty and Jeff Burton note in their initial thoughts of the 2015 Cup schedule. You can hear what they have to say in the clip above.
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 0
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 1
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0
- Hunter-Reay fastest in final Mid-Ohio warm up despite spinning out 0