Aug 26, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Dutch media have reported that Sauber reserve driver Giedo van der Garde is close to a 2015 race seat with the team, and the potential exists he could be making his return to the grid even later this year.
Per the Dutch Algemeen Dagblad and Formule 1, “sources” indicate a deal is already done.
“The Swiss private team is in desperate need of money,” the Algemeen Daglbad paper said. “The financial distress is to the point that some employees seem not to have been paid in months.
“It is an open secret that he (van der Garde) has some wealthy sponsors.”
Van der Garde has made six appearances in free practice one this season, and is currently among five drivers battling over the two Sauber seats in 2015.
Incumbents Adrian Sutil and Esteban Gutierrez have struggled through a point-less season to date. Additional test drivers Sergey Sirotkin and Simona de Silvestro are also angling for seats, with de Silvestro having had several highly publicized tests this season.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Brad Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 12
- Renault’s Taffin: Fuel consumption could well be an issue in Singapore 1
- Jeff Gordon makes strong ‘Drive For Five’ start, also has high praise for Kyle Larson in Chase opener 2
- Keselowski surges between Harvick, Larson to win Chase opener at Chicagoland 0
- For 16 Sprint Cup drivers, the time is here: ready, set, Chase 0