Aug 26, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Dutch media have reported that Sauber reserve driver Giedo van der Garde is close to a 2015 race seat with the team, and the potential exists he could be making his return to the grid even later this year.
Per the Dutch Algemeen Dagblad and Formule 1, “sources” indicate a deal is already done.
“The Swiss private team is in desperate need of money,” the Algemeen Daglbad paper said. “The financial distress is to the point that some employees seem not to have been paid in months.
“It is an open secret that he (van der Garde) has some wealthy sponsors.”
Van der Garde has made six appearances in free practice one this season, and is currently among five drivers battling over the two Sauber seats in 2015.
Incumbents Adrian Sutil and Esteban Gutierrez have struggled through a point-less season to date. Additional test drivers Sergey Sirotkin and Simona de Silvestro are also angling for seats, with de Silvestro having had several highly publicized tests this season.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 2
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14