Aug 27, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
The legend that is four-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Jeff Gordon, who’s having one of the best seasons of his career in 2014, will make his 750th Cup start this weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
It’s a rather fitting venue too, since Gordon made his first start at the old AMS layout in 1992, prior to its 1997 reconfiguration. He has five total Atlanta victories, his last coming in a thrilling scrap with teammate Jimmie Johnson in 2011.
This week, Gordon will be back in the Panasonic Toughbook colors aboard his No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet.
With 750 starts, all consecutive, Gordon ranks 11th on the all-time list. Ken Schrader sits in 10th with 763 career starts; Gordon would enter the top-10 all-time at, fittingly, Atlanta 2015.
He has 11 more races this year after Atlanta and Atlanta, which moves to the second race of the season in 2015, would be his 763rd start to tie Schrader’s mark.
Gordon has 91 career wins including three this year, only the second time in the last seven years (2011, 3) he’s had at least three victories.
Hendrick Motorsports has been re-tweeting some of fans’ favorite Gordon moments this morning. You can view a collection of them, here.
Video from NASCAR America
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 3
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 6
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1