Aug 27, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
The legend that is four-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Jeff Gordon, who’s having one of the best seasons of his career in 2014, will make his 750th Cup start this weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
It’s a rather fitting venue too, since Gordon made his first start at the old AMS layout in 1992, prior to its 1997 reconfiguration. He has five total Atlanta victories, his last coming in a thrilling scrap with teammate Jimmie Johnson in 2011.
This week, Gordon will be back in the Panasonic Toughbook colors aboard his No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet.
With 750 starts, all consecutive, Gordon ranks 11th on the all-time list. Ken Schrader sits in 10th with 763 career starts; Gordon would enter the top-10 all-time at, fittingly, Atlanta 2015.
He has 11 more races this year after Atlanta and Atlanta, which moves to the second race of the season in 2015, would be his 763rd start to tie Schrader’s mark.
Gordon has 91 career wins including three this year, only the second time in the last seven years (2011, 3) he’s had at least three victories.
Hendrick Motorsports has been re-tweeting some of fans’ favorite Gordon moments this morning. You can view a collection of them, here.
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 0
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 1
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 5
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0