Aug 28, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
Today’s announcement comes almost three weeks after Stewart’s involvement in a fatal sprint car accident on Aug. 9 at a New York state dirt track, which claimed the life of 20-year-old competitor Kevin Ward Jr.
NBCSN contributor and USA Today writer Nate Ryan called in during today’s edition of NASCAR AMERICA to discuss how he and Stewart Haas Racing came to their decision, its link to the ongoing investigation of the Stewart/Ward crash, and possible concerns among SHR’s stable of sponsors.
You can hear his report in the clip above.
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 0
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 1
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 1
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9