Aug 29, 2014, 3:05 PM EST
HAMPTON, Ga. – Tony Stewart is still eligible to make this year’s Chase for the Sprint Cup, NASCAR president Mike Helton announced Friday afternoon at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
“Back earlier this year when we announced the format for the ’14 Chase, that announcement included some responsibility about the routine participation in the season in order to be eligible in the Chase,” Helton said.
“Along with that importance of routine participation also came the asterisk, so to speak, about accepting rare incidents. This has been a very unique set of circumstances to Tony and to our sport.
“As the league, it’s our responsibility to try to make decisions that are correct and right. Sometimes we evaluate circumstances that are given us and then make those decisions as correctly as we can.
“After evaluating the circumstances around this occurrence, we’ve come to the conclusion that Tony would be eligible to participate in the Chase if he were to earn a spot in it.”
In other words, Stewart must win either Sunday night in Atlanta or next Saturday night in the final Chase qualifying race at Richmond to make the expanded 16-driver field of the 11th edition of the Chase.
Helton said there has been no consideration of expanding the field to 17 drivers, much like it was expanded to 13 for last season’s Chase due to the Michael Waltrip Racing scandal that occurred at Richmond.
“We haven’t had anyone suggest it, and that’s not on the table right now,” Helton said. “It’s simply if Tony were able to earn a spot in the Chase, and our decision is currently yes.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 0
- With Vettel, Alonso, Mercedes and Renault all on the move, Abu Dhabi will mark the end of an era in F1 0
- 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Preview 0
- Sebastian Vettel joins Ferrari for 2015 season, partnering Kimi Raikkonen 0
- Ferrari confirms Alonso will leave at end of 2014 F1 season 0
- Report: Kurt Busch meets with police over assault claims by ex-girlfriend 0