Aug 29, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
Tony Stewart missed three Sprint Cup races and did not qualify for the last two after his involvement in a fatal sprint car accident on Aug. 9.
Per NASCAR rules, all drivers that wish to maintain their Chase eligibility must qualify for each event. However, NASCAR president Mike Helton said today at Atlanta Motor Speedway that Stewart’s “unique set of circumstances” made for an special exception to those rules.
As a result, Stewart has been deemed eligible for the Chase should he be able to win either this weekend at Atlanta or next weekend at Richmond.
You can hear some of Helton’s comments in the NASCAR AMERICA clip above, which also includes a report from NBCSN contributor Nate Ryan on the atmosphere surrounding Stewart’s return at AMS.
Video from NASCAR America
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 0
- With Vettel, Alonso, Mercedes and Renault all on the move, Abu Dhabi will mark the end of an era in F1 0
- 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Preview 0
- Sebastian Vettel joins Ferrari for 2015 season, partnering Kimi Raikkonen 0
- Ferrari confirms Alonso will leave at end of 2014 F1 season 0
- Report: Kurt Busch meets with police over assault claims by ex-girlfriend 0