Aug 29, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT
Following Tony Stewart’s somber statement at the beginning of his press conference this morning at Atlanta Motor Speedway, Stewart Haas Racing executive vice president Brett Frood told the media that Stewart’s return to the track this weekend is part of his “healing process.”
“…[Stewart] being in the race car right now is about him getting through what has been a very emotional two weeks, and what his next step is in coping with this,” Frood said of the three-time Sprint Cup champion, who’s competing for the first time since his involvement in the Aug. 9 sprint car crash that killed 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr.
For more of Frood’s comments, you can watch the NASCAR AMERICA clip above. A full transcript of Stewart and Frood’s press conference can be found here.
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 5
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 9
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 2