Aug 29, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT
Following Tony Stewart’s somber statement at the beginning of his press conference this morning at Atlanta Motor Speedway, Stewart Haas Racing executive vice president Brett Frood told the media that Stewart’s return to the track this weekend is part of his “healing process.”
“…[Stewart] being in the race car right now is about him getting through what has been a very emotional two weeks, and what his next step is in coping with this,” Frood said of the three-time Sprint Cup champion, who’s competing for the first time since his involvement in the Aug. 9 sprint car crash that killed 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr.
For more of Frood’s comments, you can watch the NASCAR AMERICA clip above. A full transcript of Stewart and Frood’s press conference can be found here.
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 0
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 36
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0
- Bell: “Carb Day is many things to many people; mine was many jobs” 0
- Hamilton storms to first Monaco GP pole position 1
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0