Aug 29, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT
Following Tony Stewart’s somber statement at the beginning of his press conference this morning at Atlanta Motor Speedway, Stewart Haas Racing executive vice president Brett Frood told the media that Stewart’s return to the track this weekend is part of his “healing process.”
“…[Stewart] being in the race car right now is about him getting through what has been a very emotional two weeks, and what his next step is in coping with this,” Frood said of the three-time Sprint Cup champion, who’s competing for the first time since his involvement in the Aug. 9 sprint car crash that killed 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr.
For more of Frood’s comments, you can watch the NASCAR AMERICA clip above. A full transcript of Stewart and Frood’s press conference can be found here.
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 0
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 8
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1