Aug 29, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Following Tony Stewart’s somber statement at the beginning of his press conference this morning at Atlanta Motor Speedway, Stewart Haas Racing executive vice president Brett Frood told the media that Stewart’s return to the track this weekend is part of his “healing process.”
“…[Stewart] being in the race car right now is about him getting through what has been a very emotional two weeks, and what his next step is in coping with this,” Frood said of the three-time Sprint Cup champion, who’s competing for the first time since his involvement in the Aug. 9 sprint car crash that killed 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr.
For more of Frood’s comments, you can watch the NASCAR AMERICA clip above. A full transcript of Stewart and Frood’s press conference can be found here.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday 0
- Massa fastest for Williams as final F1 pre-season test begins 5
- Ron Dennis clears up Alonso crash rumors; confirms he was briefly knocked unconscious but was not concussed 3
- McLaren confirms Alonso leaves hospital, and is out for final test 0
- Manor targets Melbourne appearance; announces Will Stevens as first driver 2
- Iconic F1 designer Gerard Ducarouge dies at 73 1
- F1: Barcelona 2015 first test cumulative times, lap counts, analysis 0