Aug 29, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT
Following Tony Stewart’s somber statement at the beginning of his press conference this morning at Atlanta Motor Speedway, Stewart Haas Racing executive vice president Brett Frood told the media that Stewart’s return to the track this weekend is part of his “healing process.”
“…[Stewart] being in the race car right now is about him getting through what has been a very emotional two weeks, and what his next step is in coping with this,” Frood said of the three-time Sprint Cup champion, who’s competing for the first time since his involvement in the Aug. 9 sprint car crash that killed 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr.
For more of Frood’s comments, you can watch the NASCAR AMERICA clip above. A full transcript of Stewart and Frood’s press conference can be found here.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 3
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 4
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10