Aug 29, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
In Practice 1, Buescher (177.880 mph) and Kenseth (177.357 mph) actually went first and second on the time sheets ahead of Ty Dillon (176.313 mph) and two more Cup drivers – Kyle Busch (175.927 mph) and Joey Logano (175.743 mph). Defending race winner Kevin Harvick had the eighth-fastest lap (175.354 mph).
Then in Practice 2, Kenseth, by way of a lap of 177.738 mph, was the quickest. Dillon ran slower than he did in Practice 1, but moved up to second behind Kenseth with his lap of 176.201 mph.
Logano was third (176.173 mph), followed by Nationwide Series points leader Chase Elliott (175.755 mph) and Practice 1 leader Buescher (175.171 mph).
Each session had just one caution period, both times for debris.
Nationwide Series qualifying will take place tomorrow at 4:10 p.m. ET, followed by the Great Clips 300 benefiting Feed The Children later that night at 7:30 p.m. ET.
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 1
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 1
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0