Aug 29, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
But it looks like the soon-to-be former sponsor of what’s known as the NASCAR Nationwide Series couldn’t wait to begin its new partnership with NASCAR’s most popular driver.
NWI will be on Earnhardt’s No. 88 Chevy for next weekend’s regular season finale at Richmond International Raceway, and will be previewing his 2015 paint scheme for the occasion.
“Dale is having a season to remember, and Nationwide is excited to launch our new long-term relationship as a primary sponsor this season as he pursues the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship,” NWI chief marketing officer Matt Jauchius said in a team release.
“We think fans will like the new look of the No. 88 car when they see it hit the track next week in Richmond.”
Earnhardt worked with NWI to come up with the final livery, which will break cover next Wednesday, Sept. 3, at 1 p.m. ET on Twitter at @Nationwide88.
“I’ve worked with Nationwide for years, but never as a primary sponsor,” Earnhardt said in the same release. “Having them on board with Hendrick Motorsports and the No. 88 team is a big opportunity, and I really appreciate them inviting me to help design the car.
“I’m excited for the fans to see it and look forward to kicking off the relationship at one of my favorite racetracks.”
NWI announced last fall that it was going to drop its title sponsorship of the NNS at the conclusion of this 2014 season, and focus on its partnerships with Cup drivers like Earnhardt, Danica Patrick, and Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
Then this past May, NWI inked a deal with Hendrick to serve as primary sponsor for Earnhardt in 12 Cup races next year, and then 13 each in 2016 and 2017.
As NWI prepares to ramp up its Cup presence, NBCUniversal parent company Comcast has emerged as a contender to take over for them as the NNS’ title sponsor.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 0
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1