Aug 29, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
The Pirelli World Challenge has grown by leaps and bounds in 2014, and appears poised to be adding even more cars in 2015.
Announced today, a new Porsche GT-Cup class for Porsche 991 Cup class cars will be added to the GT field. This goes along with the series’ current GT class, and GT-A subcategory for gentlemen drivers.
Here’s the release from the series:
Denver, CO – Pirelli World Challenge announced today a new Porsche GT-Cup class with competition slated to begin for the 2015 season. The class will integrate the introduction of Porsche 991 Cup Cars.
Running as part of the overall Pirelli World Challenge GT class, the new Porsche GT-Cup class will run within the GT Class races and have a separate victory circle presentation alongside that of the GT/GT-A class winners.
“The series is pleased to announce a class that will allow competitors to pilot the new GT3 Cup car,” said Scott Bove, President and CEO, WC Vision/Pirelli World Challenge. “The cars will compete under Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup Rules, “as delivered” by Porsche Motorsport North America with no modification allowed. We anticipate 10-15 entries and look forward to the exciting competition within the Pirelli World Challenge GT class in 2015.”
A Pirelli tire test for the new class will be planned for the end of 2014.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 2
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3
- Fernando Alonso thanks fans for support following crash 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday 0
- Massa fastest for Williams as final F1 pre-season test begins 5