Aug 29, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
FONTANA, Calif. – A three-car accident has ended the final half hour practice session for the Verizon IndyCar Series’ MAVTV 500 at Auto Club Speedway, with Mikhail Aleshin, Marco Andretti and Charlie Kimball involved in an accident through Turns 3 and 4.
INDYCAR has confirmed Aleshin is conscious and being airlifted to nearby Loma Linda University Medical Center. Aleshin is reported to be complaining of injuries to his right shoulder, and right foot.
A further medical update at 12:13 a.m. PT (3:13 a.m. ET) from INDYCAR said this:
Medical update from Dr. Terry Trammell, INDYCAR Medical Consultant:
Verizon IndyCar Series driver Mikhail Aleshin was evaluated at Loma Linda University Medical Center in Loma Linda, Calif., on Aug. 29 and diagnosed with fractured ribs, a broken right clavicle, a concussion and chest injuries. He was admitted to the hospital and listed in serious but stable condition.
As for the accident itself, a wheel tether and wheel itself went through the catch fencing on the outside of Turn 4, with the fence itself sheared away.
Upon a replay, Aleshin went low through Turns 3 and 4, below the white line, then spun up the road and on top of Kimball.
Once he hit and climbed Kimball’s car, that sent him somersaulting along the catch fencing, peeling it away. Andretti spun up in the accident.
Both Kimball and Andretti were out of their cars after the accident, with safety crews tending to Aleshin. Kimball was checked and released from the infield care center and Andretti didn’t require a trip to medical.
MotorSportsTalk will have further updates following this accident.
- The week that was for Juan Pablo Montoya 0
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 1
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8