Aug 29, 2014, 5:41 PM EST
Down 73 points in the Chase standings and without a win, Brian Vickers knows that the pressure is on for him and several other Chase hopefuls to get a victory in the final two races of the Sprint Cup regular season.
“It’s gonna be a battle,” Vickers acknowledged today at Atlanta Motor Speedway before qualifying for Sunday’s Oral-B USA 500.
“It’s gonna be intense these next two races knowing that it’s not just about the guys on the cusp for points, it’s about anyone that can win. The intensity’s gonna kick in.
“But to be honest, it’s been there all year. Every week you show up, you’re goal is to win and you’re gonna do everything you can to try and get that win.”
Vickers has been steady in recent years at Atlanta with six Top-10 finishes in his last eight starts there. But another result like that will be of little help to him as he looks for a last minute break-through.
Not helping Vickers is Toyota’s overall power deficit behind its rivals, particularly those with Hendrick motors such as Hendrick Motorsports, Stewart-Haas Racing, and Chip Ganassi Racing.
When asked where his Michael Waltrip Racing team stood on horsepower compared to the Hendrick camp, Vickers would only say that Hendrick had them beat in that regard “by a lot.”
“They’re strong right now, and it’s tough,” Vickers conceded. “But hopefully, one day, we’ll be on the other side of that cycle and they’ll be chasing us. But right now, for whatever reason, they’ve definitely got everyone beat in the engine department.”
Unfortunately for Vickers, time is running out on his post-season hopes, and he can’t wait for Toyota to come up with a performance boost.
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 0
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 4
- Sauber aims to beat the blues of 2014 with C34’s launch 2
- Track executive arrested, charged with lewdness with 19-year-old 0