Aug 30, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. – When you’re hot, you’re hot.
That’s a good way of describing how Saturday’s first of two Sprint Cup practice sessions wound up at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Last week’s winner at Bristol Motor Speedway, Joey Logano, was fastest in the practice in preparation for Sunday night’s Oral-B USA 500.
Logano was the only driver to exceed 189 mph, turning a best lap of 189.351 mph.
Kevin Harvick, who earned his sixth pole position of the year in Friday’s qualifying session, was second-fastest at 188.328 mph.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. was third-fastest (187.843), followed by Denny Hamlin (187.405), Carl Edwards (187.215), Greg Biffle (186.679), Kasey Kahne (186.297), Jeff Gordon (186.153), Ryan Newman (186.034) and Jamie McMurray (185.915).
— Danica Patrick was right behind her boss with the 16th-fastest speed (185.170 mph).
— Kyle Busch‘s struggles continued, as he was more than 5 mph off of Logano’s pace, coming in 22nd-fastest at 184.321 mph.
Of course, things will be significantly different during Sunday’s race. Saturday’s practice was at the hottest part of the afternoon (before rain showers came through at the end of the session), while Sunday’s race will be held in the evening (green flag is 7:30 pm ET). There will also be one more practice session, the Happy Hour session, that begins at 6 pm ET.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 3
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tops quiet second Monaco GP practice 0
- Hamilton quickest in opening practice for Monaco GP 0
- James Hinchcliffe transferred out of ICU, full recovery expected 4