Aug 30, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
FONTANA, Calif. – Charlie Kimball was the victim of circumstances in Mikhail Aleshin’s accident during Friday night’s final practice for the MAVTV 500, the Verizon IndyCar Series season finale at Auto Club Speedway.
Kimball was running the high line through Turns 3 and 4 and Aleshin, who slowed through the corner and got two wheels below the white line, then spun up and collected Kimball.
“He went from the top to the bottom through 3 and 4, and it looked like rotated on him,” Kimball told MotorSportsTalk. “I saw tire smoke. I couldn’t tell if I’d be clear or if he’d come in behind me or in front of me. I had nowhere to go.
“I don’t know where he (hit). Last I saw, it looked like a T-bone wreck from my side.”
With a cracked tub on impact, the No. 83 Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet team switches to a backup for tonight’s race (9 p.m. ET, NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra). Kimball qualified sixth.
“It got into the tub. But I have every confidence they’ll give me the same great car they did tonight.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 2
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1