Aug 30, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The highly-anticipated NASCAR Camping World Truck Series weekend at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park has begun with a pair of practice sessions on the 10-turn road course outside Toronto.
Seemingly going along with the international flavor of this particular event, a Mexican, an American, and a Canadian took the Top 3 spots in the first practice session.
Mexico’s German Quiroga used a late run to post the fastest lap of the session at 81.239 seconds. Following him was the USA’s Brennan Newberry in P2 (81.595 seconds) and Canada’s Alex Tagliani in third (81.660 seconds).
Speeds went up in the second practice, which was led by another Canadian driver. Quebec native Andrew Ranger went to the top with his lap of 80.760 seconds, pushing Quiroga’s 80.772-second lap to P2.
Points leader Johnny Sauter was 13th in the first practice, but improved to 10th in the second practice. Sauter leads the Truck Series standings by eight points over ThorSport Racing teammate and defending series champion Matt Crafton (11th in first practice, seventh in second practice).
As for the beleaguered Turner Scott Motorsports, Ben Kennedy (ninth in first practice, 14th in second practice) and Cameron Hayley (14th in first practice, 11th in second practice) posted times good enough for mid-pack.
Qualifying will take place later today at 5:40 p.m. ET ahead of Sunday’s main event, the Chevrolet Silverado 250 (1:30 p.m. ET, check local listings).
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 0
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 1