Aug 30, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
Dale Earnhardt’s No. 3 GM Goodwrench Chevrolet remains one of the most iconic sights in American racing and perhaps, American sport in general.
But this may be the strangest place we’ve seen that midnight-black No. 3 pop up in recent times.
Today pretty much marks the start of the college football season, and one of the early marquee match-ups involves West Virginia and No. 2-ranked Alabama – which just happens to be going down at the Georgia Dome, not too far from the ongoing NASCAR weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway in Hampton, Georgia.
So far, the Mountaineers have hung tough with the mighty Crimson Tide, down only 20-17 at halftime. West Virginia’s doing all they can to get the upset, and that includes calling on the Intimidator.
And a guy with a mustache (that isn’t Dale Sr.). And a can of Red Bull. And a pair of red lips.
This shot comes from one Jason Gould (@confirmed104) on Twitter. And we wouldn’t know where to begin in trying to decipher what the Mountaineer coaches are calling here.
Which is probably the point.
For more on today’s games, head over to College Football Talk.
- DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs 0
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 3
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 2
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6