Aug 30, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
Dale Earnhardt’s No. 3 GM Goodwrench Chevrolet remains one of the most iconic sights in American racing and perhaps, American sport in general.
But this may be the strangest place we’ve seen that midnight-black No. 3 pop up in recent times.
Today pretty much marks the start of the college football season, and one of the early marquee match-ups involves West Virginia and No. 2-ranked Alabama – which just happens to be going down at the Georgia Dome, not too far from the ongoing NASCAR weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway in Hampton, Georgia.
So far, the Mountaineers have hung tough with the mighty Crimson Tide, down only 20-17 at halftime. West Virginia’s doing all they can to get the upset, and that includes calling on the Intimidator.
And a guy with a mustache (that isn’t Dale Sr.). And a can of Red Bull. And a pair of red lips.
This shot comes from one Jason Gould (@confirmed104) on Twitter. And we wouldn’t know where to begin in trying to decipher what the Mountaineer coaches are calling here.
Which is probably the point.
For more on today’s games, head over to College Football Talk.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 1
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 3
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10