Aug 31, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Former FIA president Max Mosley has criticized the management at Mercedes for its handling of the recent fall-out between Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton.
On the second lap of the Belgian Grand Prix, the two F1 title protagonists made contact, with Rosberg appearing to be the aggressor. Although it was deemed to be a racing incident, Rosberg admitted after the race that he could have pulled out of the move, but opted not to so he could “prove a point” to Hamilton.
Many speculated about how Mercedes could move on from the incident, and the team decided to hold a meeting with both Hamilton and Rosberg earlier this week.
Mercedes confirmed that Rosberg had apologized to Hamilton, and would be disciplined internally. However, Mosley believes that the team should have dealt with the matter behind closed doors.
“In every respect but one I think Mercedes dealt with the incident in the right way,” Mosley told British newspaper the Daily Mail. “If they decided to fine or punish Rosberg they should not have announced it.
“It’s as if the team are blaming him publicly. That’s not really right.”
Mosley, who served as FIA president for 16 years, believes that the team should have accepted the decision of the race director, Charlie Whiting, and not made the incident so public.
“The way I see it, and I’m on the outside now, is that the very experienced race director and the stewards decided to act because it was a ‘racing incident’,” Mosley said. “That was more or less that. It was a minor incident with serious consequences.
“What the drivers did or not say afterwards is not clear. On that basis the FIA could not get involved.
“It’s then a matter for the team. A lot goes on behind closed doors. What is unusual is announcing it.
“Personally, I wouldn’t have done that.”
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 0
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 0
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 8
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1
- It’s “never-say-die” for Graham Rahal with three races left 1
- Paralyzed driver Michael Johnson returning to track in Pro Mazda 0