Mosley: Mercedes shouldn’t publicly chastise Rosberg

Aug 31, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

BRITAIN-MEDIA-POLITICS-LEVESON Getty Images

Former FIA president Max Mosley has criticized the management at Mercedes for its handling of the recent fall-out between Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton.

On the second lap of the Belgian Grand Prix, the two F1 title protagonists made contact, with Rosberg appearing to be the aggressor. Although it was deemed to be a racing incident, Rosberg admitted after the race that he could have pulled out of the move, but opted not to so he could “prove a point” to Hamilton.

Many speculated about how Mercedes could move on from the incident, and the team decided to hold a meeting with both Hamilton and Rosberg earlier this week.

Mercedes confirmed that Rosberg had apologized to Hamilton, and would be disciplined internally. However, Mosley believes that the team should have dealt with the matter behind closed doors.

“In every respect but one I think Mercedes dealt with the incident in the right way,” Mosley told British newspaper the Daily Mail. “If they decided to fine or punish Rosberg they should not have announced it.

“It’s as if the team are blaming him publicly. That’s not really right.”

Mosley, who served as FIA president for 16 years, believes that the team should have accepted the decision of the race director, Charlie Whiting, and not made the incident so public.

“The way I see it, and I’m on the outside now, is that the very experienced race director and the stewards decided to act because it was a ‘racing incident’,” Mosley said. “That was more or less that. It was a minor incident with serious consequences.

“What the drivers did or not say afterwards is not clear. On that basis the FIA could not get involved.

“It’s then a matter for the team. A lot goes on behind closed doors. What is unusual is announcing it.

“Personally, I wouldn’t have done that.”

1. techmeister1 - Aug 31, 2014 at 12:38 PM

For once Mosley got something right. It’s terrible F1 management to chastise your drivers publicly as Toro Rosso is fond of doing. Mercedes management should know better and I would expect the Mercedes board to reprimand the team managers for their error in judgment which is far worse than two drivers having contact on the track while fighting for the championship.

As I said before Rosberg sent a memo because Mercedes F1 management was allowing Hammy to continually run Rosberg off the track when he had the faster car and fresher tires. That’s unacceptable and Hammy should have been refrained but he wasn’t. That is why the memo was sent as it should have been. Hammy continuously ignores the team requests while Rosberg complies. That’s got to stop so both drivers are on equal terms.

• chaparral2f - Aug 31, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Another great post here. Sadly, it will be lost on the Hamilton brats.

2. ijusth - Aug 31, 2014 at 12:43 PM

this coming from the man who dressed as a Nazi and was caught playing with two woman. I listen to his opinion for sure

3. NewsCodex - Aug 31, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Mercedes was absolutely correct in chastising him publicly. The wider public (including myself) had come to believe that Hamilton’s streak of bad luck was Mercedes’ way of ensuring that a German driver won in a German car. By speaking out, they are trying to assure their fans that they are playing a fair game, and giving both drivers an equal shot at the target.

• NewsCodex - Aug 31, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Target should be “title”.

4. shotgunzoom - Aug 31, 2014 at 2:22 PM

What Mosley would have done? First, not sure Mr. Nazi’s judgement or opinion is needed or wanted. And the idea that because you announced team discipline you’ve broken some taboo is silly and naive.

The viewing public has heard the radio transmissions all season. IMO Mercedes looks kinda guilty of favoritism towards Rosberg this season. I have the F1 app on my phone and I’ve heard more transmissions than are broadcasted on TV.

If Rosberg wrote an internal memo complaining about Hamilton and it is in the public domain then don’t complain that the public continues to be informed.

Rosberg got left by Hamilton and Vettel off the blocks but he was able to pass Vettel clean. He admitted that he could have lifted out of the move before it was too late. He chose to stay there to prove some kind of point, that he’s not going to take it from Hamilton anymore. Except he was never going to make that move stick and the team lost points because he wanted to prove his manhood. By the by, not giving room isn’t the same as running off the track, it’s called racing.

5. chaparral2f - Aug 31, 2014 at 6:00 PM

For once, I agree with Mad Max, and that is a hard thing to do for me. I can’t believe that Max could be so sane, but he is totally right in saying that it was a racing incident and that it should have been dealt with behind closed doors. Of course, the Hamilton cry babies will cry foul and say that Mad Max should not express his opinion. But, the reality is that this is much ado about nothing. Nico sought to pass his teammate and we all know that Sir Lewis hates for anyone to get in the spotlight more than him. I totally agree with Nico that he had to show Hamilton that he is not playing second fiddle to him. I applaud NIco for his candor and for his willingness to demonstrate that he is as good a driver as Hamilton.

6. shotgunzoom - Aug 31, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Nothing lost here. It was dealt with internally by the team. Whatever discipline was given was not made public. But the biggest story during and after Spa has been the collision. We don’t live in the 1960’s anymore. Newspapers and magazines aren’t the only entities that get to write their opinions anymore.

Now that everybody realizes what century this is, don’t make comments about making comments. I agree that the clash was a racing incident, because it was. I still believe the reasons for the clash were weak and clearly avoidable. I read how LH thinks he’s so special or a rockstar, how he has put himself above the team. However, it seems to me it is NR who placed his goals ahead of the team. Now if you can factually challenge that be my guest. Some of you sound as ridiculous as Nedved commenting about Chiellini after he got bit by Suarez.

Typing a lot of words is easy to do. I’ve watched many people use their own opinions, as if they were facts, to support their’s or a like minded person’s opinion. A circular argument will not support anything, Facts and principles do.

7. worknman24hours - Sep 1, 2014 at 2:21 PM

This is now old news,like Mosley.

NEXT!

Video from NASCAR America

Which longshot will advance in Chase?
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches