Aug 31, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
After missing out on victory for the first time in 2014 at the Czech Republic Grand Prix, Spain’s Marc Marquez has responded in supreme fashion at Silverstone by taking his eleventh win of the year ahead of compatriot Jorge Lorenzo.
The Honda rider has broken almost every age-related record going in Moto GP since making his debut at the start of 2013. His rookie year yielded the world championship, making him the youngest ever winner of motorcycling’s premier class.
He was on course to enjoy a perfect season until the race at Brno, where he had to settle for fourth place, but he bounced back at Silverstone this weekend to win the British motorcycle Grand Prix from pole position.
Marquez dropped down to second place behind Lorenzo off the line, but kept the Yamaha rider within touching distance before passing with seven laps remaining. However, he made a mistake two laps later, handing the position back to Lorenzo.
Ultimately, Marquez did manage to find a way past once again, and at the flag, he enjoyed an advantage of just 0.7 seconds to claim win number 11 of the season, matching the record shared by Giacomo Agostini and Valentino Rossi.
Rossi broke the record for the most starts in motorcycling’s premier class today, lining up on the grid for the 246th time. He made it a day to remember by claiming his first podium finish at Silverstone.
Dani Pedrosa finished fourth for Honda, allowing Marquez to extend his lead at the top of the championship to 89 points; it’s just a matter of time before he clinches his second world title.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 49
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2