Aug 31, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
After missing out on victory for the first time in 2014 at the Czech Republic Grand Prix, Spain’s Marc Marquez has responded in supreme fashion at Silverstone by taking his eleventh win of the year ahead of compatriot Jorge Lorenzo.
The Honda rider has broken almost every age-related record going in Moto GP since making his debut at the start of 2013. His rookie year yielded the world championship, making him the youngest ever winner of motorcycling’s premier class.
He was on course to enjoy a perfect season until the race at Brno, where he had to settle for fourth place, but he bounced back at Silverstone this weekend to win the British motorcycle Grand Prix from pole position.
Marquez dropped down to second place behind Lorenzo off the line, but kept the Yamaha rider within touching distance before passing with seven laps remaining. However, he made a mistake two laps later, handing the position back to Lorenzo.
Ultimately, Marquez did manage to find a way past once again, and at the flag, he enjoyed an advantage of just 0.7 seconds to claim win number 11 of the season, matching the record shared by Giacomo Agostini and Valentino Rossi.
Rossi broke the record for the most starts in motorcycling’s premier class today, lining up on the grid for the 246th time. He made it a day to remember by claiming his first podium finish at Silverstone.
Dani Pedrosa finished fourth for Honda, allowing Marquez to extend his lead at the top of the championship to 89 points; it’s just a matter of time before he clinches his second world title.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and he wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 2
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14