Aug 31, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
NHRA Top Fuel pilot Tony Schumacher is going after his 10th title at the famous U.S. Nationals this Labor Day weekend in Indianapolis.
But “The Sarge” has already captured a nice prize for himself.
In yesterday’s Top Fuel final of the Traxxas Nitro Shootout – a “race within a race” featuring eight of the class’ best drivers – Schumacher defeated Richie Crampton with a 3.748-second burst down the quarter-mile at Lucas Oil Raceway.
His winning speed: A track-record 328.54 miles per hour. His bounty: $100,000. His confidence: Sky high.
“I would not want to race against me,” Schumacher told the Indianapolis Star. “It’s a great car that is getting better and better and better. I would guarantee our car is the team to beat now.
“If we get it all together, and we’re on it, we’ll be unbeatable.”
With the Shootout consisting of three rounds, Schumacher advanced to the final via a quarterfinal win over Spencer Massey, and then a semifinal win over Doug Kalitta.
Yesterday also saw the continuation of weather-delayed events from Brainerd, Minnesota as Ron Capps defeated John Force in the Funny Car Final with a 4.026 at 320.36. And this morning, Jason Line won the Brainerd Pro Stock Final over Jeg Coughlin Jr. with a 6.596 at 207.40.
Today has the Funny Car class taking part in the Shootout. Among those competing in this tournament are: John Force, Tim Wilkerson, Robert Hight, Cruz Pedregon, Ron Capps, Courtney Force, Tommy Johnson Jr., and Alexis DeJoria.
The top-tier Mello Yello Drag Racing Series will also conclude qualifying rounds ahead of Monday’s final eliminations.
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 4
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 7
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 4
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 3