Aug 31, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
When it came to determining the most popular driver during pre-race introductions of Sunday night’s Oral-B USA 500, there was no doubt about the outcome.
Fans at Atlanta Motor Speedway voted with their cheers and applause, yelling and clapping the loudest for Tony Stewart.
Having missed the last three races due to the Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy, Stewart made his first NASCAR race appearance since the August 9th incident at an upstate New York dirt track.
Stewart qualified 12th for the 325-lap event around the 1.5-mile track.
While some might think it a surprise that Stewart received so much love, one other driver received the most boos and catcalls: Kyle Busch.
No surprise there.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- What might happen to Tony Stewart when District Attorney’s review of Kevin Ward Jr. case is completed? 4
- Jeff Gordon makes strong ‘Drive For Five’ start, also has high praise for Kyle Larson in Chase opener 2
- Keselowski surges between Harvick, Larson to win Chase opener at Chicagoland 0
- For 16 Sprint Cup drivers, the time is here: ready, set, Chase 0
- Kyle Busch starts Truck race ticked-off, only to end up in victory lane at Chicagoland 1
- Joey Logano: ‘We’re ready’ to win Sprint Cup championship 1
- Kyle Busch ready to claim his ‘second’ Sprint Cup championship 2