Aug 31, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
When it came to determining the most popular driver during pre-race introductions of Sunday night’s Oral-B USA 500, there was no doubt about the outcome.
Fans at Atlanta Motor Speedway voted with their cheers and applause, yelling and clapping the loudest for Tony Stewart.
Having missed the last three races due to the Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy, Stewart made his first NASCAR race appearance since the August 9th incident at an upstate New York dirt track.
Stewart qualified 12th for the 325-lap event around the 1.5-mile track.
While some might think it a surprise that Stewart received so much love, one other driver received the most boos and catcalls: Kyle Busch.
No surprise there.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 4
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 3
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 11
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 4
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0