Aug 31, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
When it came to determining the most popular driver during pre-race introductions of Sunday night’s Oral-B USA 500, there was no doubt about the outcome.
Fans at Atlanta Motor Speedway voted with their cheers and applause, yelling and clapping the loudest for Tony Stewart.
Having missed the last three races due to the Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy, Stewart made his first NASCAR race appearance since the August 9th incident at an upstate New York dirt track.
Stewart qualified 12th for the 325-lap event around the 1.5-mile track.
While some might think it a surprise that Stewart received so much love, one other driver received the most boos and catcalls: Kyle Busch.
No surprise there.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 1
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 8
- Sebastian Saavedra leads at halfway in IndyCar season finale (VIDEO) 0
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2