Aug 31, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
When it came to determining the most popular driver during pre-race introductions of Sunday night’s Oral-B USA 500, there was no doubt about the outcome.
Fans at Atlanta Motor Speedway voted with their cheers and applause, yelling and clapping the loudest for Tony Stewart.
Having missed the last three races due to the Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy, Stewart made his first NASCAR race appearance since the August 9th incident at an upstate New York dirt track.
Stewart qualified 12th for the 325-lap event around the 1.5-mile track.
While some might think it a surprise that Stewart received so much love, one other driver received the most boos and catcalls: Kyle Busch.
No surprise there.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Montoya fastest on opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice 1
- Indy 500 refresher running, RoP gets underway today at IMS 0
- Chevrolet reveals its super speedway aero kit 2
- ARCA driver Brad Smith recovering from ankle surgery after Talladega wreck 0
- 21 years after his death, the legacy of Ayrton Senna burns as brightly as ever 2
- Honda reveals its super speedway aero kit Thursday at IMS (VIDEO) 9
- Ed Carpenter talks Newgarden’s win and preparing for superspeedway aero kit at Indy 7