Aug 31, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
When it came to determining the most popular driver during pre-race introductions of Sunday night’s Oral-B USA 500, there was no doubt about the outcome.
Fans at Atlanta Motor Speedway voted with their cheers and applause, yelling and clapping the loudest for Tony Stewart.
Having missed the last three races due to the Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy, Stewart made his first NASCAR race appearance since the August 9th incident at an upstate New York dirt track.
Stewart qualified 12th for the 325-lap event around the 1.5-mile track.
While some might think it a surprise that Stewart received so much love, one other driver received the most boos and catcalls: Kyle Busch.
No surprise there.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0
- Report: Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- Mario Andretti gets Jay Leno up to speed — and then some 1
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 1
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 2
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6
- Nelson Piquet Jr crowned first ever FIA Formula E champion in thrilling London finale 1