Aug 31, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
When it came to determining the most popular driver during pre-race introductions of Sunday night’s Oral-B USA 500, there was no doubt about the outcome.
Fans at Atlanta Motor Speedway voted with their cheers and applause, yelling and clapping the loudest for Tony Stewart.
Having missed the last three races due to the Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy, Stewart made his first NASCAR race appearance since the August 9th incident at an upstate New York dirt track.
Stewart qualified 12th for the 325-lap event around the 1.5-mile track.
While some might think it a surprise that Stewart received so much love, one other driver received the most boos and catcalls: Kyle Busch.
No surprise there.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- It’s “never-say-die” for Graham Rahal with three races left 0
- Paralyzed driver Michael Johnson returning to track in Pro Mazda 0
- Simon Pagenaud ‘agonizingly close’ to wins at Mid-Ohio, not to success in 2015 0
- With three races left, who could still win in IndyCar, season 2015? 1
- Marcos Ambrose looks to salvage lost season in V8 Supercars, has had no issues ‘moving on’ from NASCAR 6
- NHRA: Big changes coming to Pro Stock this weekend, next season 20
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 7