Aug 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Former Formula 1 driver Mark Webber has congratulated fellow Australian Will Power on his Verizon IndyCar Series championship victory at last night’s MAVTV 500 in Fontana.
Power finished ninth in the 250-lap race to secure his first IndyCar title, getting the monkey off his back after finishing as the runner up in 2010, 2011 and 2012.
Title rival Helio Castroneves finished the race in 14th after receiving a drive-through penalty for cutting the pit entry line when coming in to stop. Tony Kanaan was the eventual winner at Fontana, marking his first race win of the season.
Taking to Twitter after the race, Webber, who now races in the World Endurance Championship with Porsche, sent his congratulations to Power.
“Massive congrats to @12WillPower on the Indy title,” he wrote. “The guy has worked his ring off for years, and never had anything handed to him.”
— Mark Webber (@AussieGrit) August 31, 2014
Power is the first Australian driver to win the IndyCar title, and his success comes in tandem with Daniel Ricciardo’s breakthrough season in Formula 1, making it a very good time for racing fans Down Under.
Webber’s next racing commitment comes at the Circuit of The Americas in Austin, Texas for the next round of the WEC in September.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 0
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 2
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10