Aug 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Former Formula 1 driver Mark Webber has congratulated fellow Australian Will Power on his Verizon IndyCar Series championship victory at last night’s MAVTV 500 in Fontana.
Power finished ninth in the 250-lap race to secure his first IndyCar title, getting the monkey off his back after finishing as the runner up in 2010, 2011 and 2012.
Title rival Helio Castroneves finished the race in 14th after receiving a drive-through penalty for cutting the pit entry line when coming in to stop. Tony Kanaan was the eventual winner at Fontana, marking his first race win of the season.
Taking to Twitter after the race, Webber, who now races in the World Endurance Championship with Porsche, sent his congratulations to Power.
“Massive congrats to @12WillPower on the Indy title,” he wrote. “The guy has worked his ring off for years, and never had anything handed to him.”
— Mark Webber (@AussieGrit) August 31, 2014
Power is the first Australian driver to win the IndyCar title, and his success comes in tandem with Daniel Ricciardo’s breakthrough season in Formula 1, making it a very good time for racing fans Down Under.
Webber’s next racing commitment comes at the Circuit of The Americas in Austin, Texas for the next round of the WEC in September.
Video from NASCAR America
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 2
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 4
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 10
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0