Aug 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Former Formula 1 driver Mark Webber has congratulated fellow Australian Will Power on his Verizon IndyCar Series championship victory at last night’s MAVTV 500 in Fontana.
Power finished ninth in the 250-lap race to secure his first IndyCar title, getting the monkey off his back after finishing as the runner up in 2010, 2011 and 2012.
Title rival Helio Castroneves finished the race in 14th after receiving a drive-through penalty for cutting the pit entry line when coming in to stop. Tony Kanaan was the eventual winner at Fontana, marking his first race win of the season.
Taking to Twitter after the race, Webber, who now races in the World Endurance Championship with Porsche, sent his congratulations to Power.
“Massive congrats to @12WillPower on the Indy title,” he wrote. “The guy has worked his ring off for years, and never had anything handed to him.”
— Mark Webber (@AussieGrit) August 31, 2014
Power is the first Australian driver to win the IndyCar title, and his success comes in tandem with Daniel Ricciardo’s breakthrough season in Formula 1, making it a very good time for racing fans Down Under.
Webber’s next racing commitment comes at the Circuit of The Americas in Austin, Texas for the next round of the WEC in September.
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy 200 qualifying at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Dixon quickest with unofficial lap record in final practice at Mid-Ohio 0
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 1
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 2
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 1
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0