Sep 1, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Normally, you have to have one superb racing resume in order to have a grandstand named after you at a track.
And while Formula One rookie Daniil Kvyat has had a solid first year in the global pinnacle of motorsport, he’s still a ways off from being in the lead pack, let alone contending for a World Championship.
But that hasn’t stopped organizers of the upcoming Russian Grand Prix from naming a grandstand at the newly-built Sochi Autodrom in honor of the Scuderia Toro Rosso pilot.
Apparently, Kvyat was also under the belief that he wasn’t quite ready for such a thing.
“I was amazed to learn there will be a grandstand bearing my name at the Sochi Autodrom – usually, this is an honor reserved for drivers who have retired, so it is both surprising and a great privilege,” he said in a statement.
The stand bearing Kvyat’s name will be situated in Turn 4 and on the inside of the circuit, providing views from Turn 2 all the way through to Turn 5.
“I hope that the spectators will enjoy the fantastic view and have a wonderful time over the weekend of the first ever Russian Grand Prix,” Kvyat also said. “It will be a historic time for Formula One and for Russia and I can’t wait to race in front of my home crowd.”
Kvyat has cracked the points in five Grand Prix this year, which include his inaugural start back in March at Australia and the most recent race at Belgium (ninth).
His Aussie counterpart at the senior Red Bull Racing team, Daniel Ricciardo, recently praised Kvyat’s efforts in 2014 and said that the young Russian reminds him of himself a bit – “very immature, but when he needs to be mature, he’s very mature.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. ponders a 24-hour NASCAR race 0
- ‘Do you get mad when your boyfriend wrecks you?’ Danica Patrick faces kids’ pressing questions 3
- Jeff Gordon to serve as NASCAR TV analyst this season 12
- Ganassi’s No. 02 Riley-Ford Scores Rolex 24 Victory 3
- Rex White, NASCAR Hall of Fame driver — and storyteller 1
- Is a NASCAR TV analyst career in Jeff Gordon’s future? ‘I’d entertain it’ 2
- After wedding and winter to reflect, Joey Logano looks for more in 2015 2